Things We Saw Today: I Would Read the Heck Out of This Ready Player One for Girls
The hilarious Jenny Nicholson has posted a video to her YouTube channel in which she reads from the “girls” version of pop culture reference-palooza that is Ready Player One.
Because if women don’t like Ready Player One, it must just be because we don’t get the references, right? As Nicholson points out, “Reading lists of things I recognize is pretty fun.” Luckily, she’s found a version our ladybrains can get excited about. No more references to “super obscure” antiquated entities like Star Trek or Matthew Broderick. Instead, this version’s protagonist is all about Punky Brewster, Gary Marshall movies, and Rainbow Brite.
I know this is just meant to highlight the ridiculousness of the misogyny present in much of fan culture, but I’m not gonna lie. I would read the crap out of this book.
- Mara Wilson asks an important question: What if girls knew they were allowed to be angry? (via Elle)
- Black athletes have started celebrating their wins with the Wakanda Forever salute! (via Slate)
- Leading up to the release of Avengers: Infinity War, AMC theaters are hosting a 31-hour-long MCU marathon. That’s all 18 (!) movies of the Marvel Universe. I’m sure that’s someone’s idea of fun. Is it yours? (via /Film)
- Earlier today, thousands of students across the country walked out of class in a protest against gun violence. Viacom found a pretty awesome way to show solidarity by letting all of their channels–which include MTV, Nickelodeon, and Comedy Central, among others–go dark for 17 minutes (in honor of the 17 people killed in the Parkland shooting) starting at 10am EST, when the march started. (via Vox)
- Mark Hamill is a treasure.
Luke How Far I’ve Come:
A) Generic Lemon-Haired Ken Doll Luke
B) Black-Haired Semi-Conscious Adult-Diaper Luke
C) Pumped-Up Roid-Rage With Balcony You Could Do Shakespeare From Luke
D) Senior Citizen Jedi Pension-Plan Future Force-Ghost Luke#CollectEmAll pic.twitter.com/5q820fjTv5
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) March 14, 2018
What did you all see out there today?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org