Do you spend your weekends in a zombie-like state, consuming the entirety of geek culture, but without any sort of outlet through which to alleviate that well of bubbling geek knowledge? Well, bubble no more! For we here at Geekosystem are looking for a weekend editor. You don’t even need to be in the New York City area to apply, so check out the details below!
The ideal candidate has a background in writing, an obsessive knowledge of geek culture, and has enough time to work upwards of a regular 8-hour work day on Saturday and Sunday morning to the evening. After a training period, you will be handling the two weekend days alone, so responsible candidates with impeccable judgment are a must.
These are the biggest qualities we’re looking for in a candidate:
- The primary qualification for this job is an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsessive enthusiasm for multiple aspects of geek culture. If you are knowledgeable about weird, cutting-edge tech phenomena, follow gadget and consumer electronics news, and/or possess a deep knowledge of video games and/or science fiction, anime, comics, or Internet culture, then this is the editorial position for you.
- The secondary qualification is being able to write quickly and clearly, without weird (or normal!) grammatical or spelling issues, on topics that you think up or discover on the interwebs.
Bonus achievements unlocked if you have the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of blogging software.
- Knowledge of the major personalities and figures in geekdom and the tech world.
- Experience with photo-editing software.
You, as the weekend editor, would spend your work day writing, and you will get bylines for every single thing you write, because we’re not evil, and some even say we’re alright by them.
- The weekend editor would cover both Saturday and Sunday, each of which requires coverage from 10 AM to 6 PM EST.
- The weekend editor does not need to be in the New York City area, but would need to be able to communicate clearly, concisely, and consistently over the Internet with us, the weekday editors. Said communication would consist of Google Chat, and possibly the occasional video or voice chat.
- This is an entry level paid position, and compensation will be discussed through the interview process.
How to apply:
If interested, please attach ALL of the following documents to your application email, which should be sent to [email protected]:
- A resume/CV, including references (please include any weird skills you might have, like knowledge of MUD coding languages or a Wizards of the Coast tournament ranking).
- Any two samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.) (Although we are a blog! So keep that in mind when deciding what to submit)
- A brief (1 page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal weekend editor for a geek culture blog. Please also discuss your favorite somewhat obscure Internet meme in your cover letter; if you don’t, we’ll know you didn’t read the entire posting! We’re sneaky like that.
Good luck, and get those applications in soon, or your weekends of blogging about geek culture on the sunny beach of wherever you live (especially if you live in a landlocked area) might be filled by someone way less deserving than you!
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]