Comic-Con: While You Were Sleeping, Part 3
It's A World of Laughter A World of Tears
Jul 15th, 2012, 12:40 pm
Have you been spending this week crying into your twitter account over your unfortunate lack of being at Comic-Con? Don’t worry; us, too. But never fear! For the past few days we’ve been bringing you roundups of the SDCC’s biggest announcements. Hit the jump for Marvel’s many revelations, a new character on Once Upon a Time, the first Godzilla poster, and more.
- DC Entertainment has tapped Quentin Tarantino‘s Django Unchained for a 5-issue mini-series, to be released to coincide with the film’s release.
- ABC’s Once Upon a Time panel ended with a teaser clip that featured a pirate-clad figure who’s being acknowledged as being Peter Pan character Captain Hook. Take a look:
Marvel’s panel was packed full of action and news. This included:
- The panel gave thanks to fans for making The Avengers the biggest superhero film of all time, going on to officially confirm that the next four movies will be Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. They called this “Phase Two” of their master plan, “Phase One” having been the smash success of The Avengers. The title of the next Captain America film is particularly notable, considering that The Winter Soldier is a storyline that brings Bucky Barnes back in the present day.
- Edgar Wright came out to talk about the much-awaited Ant-Man movie, and was reportedly carrying with him an Ant-Man comic he’s had since he was a little kid–Awww! He showed the audience some test footage, and according to io9, “despite some rough spots, including bluescreen and unfinished effects, it was absolutely clear that Ant-Man can look badass and tough, rather than just being a joke character.”
- As for Ant-Man’s casting, Wright said this: “Ant-Man will kick your ass one inch at a time. There is no casting news, although I can reveal that Ant-Man has been here all day.”
- When talks of Iron Man 3 began Robert Downey Jr. entered the room to Luther Vandross’ “Never Too Much,” while wearing one Iron Man glove. Some footage was shown, and it included public acknowledgement that Ben Kinglsey will be playing The Mandarin. Then RDJ got everyone in the room to sing happy birthday to a 15-year-old in the audience.
- Oh, and you can take a peek at the new Iron Man armor here.
- Marvel also announced Deadpool, a game being developed by the people behind Transformers: Fall of the Cybertron.
- They also revealed some concept art for Guardians of the Galaxy, which can be seen at the top of this post. (via Comics Alliance)
And in non-Marvel news…
- The True Blood panel included a lot of Magic Mike stripper jokes. They also showed footage from the second half of this season that features some new things for Alcide, as well as Russel Edgington making some more trouble (as he is wont to do).
- Here is the first poster for Godzilla (via Bleeding Cool):
UPDATED TO ADD:
- In Geek and Sundry news, Felicia Day announced that there will be a season six of The Guild. (thanks to commenter JoAnne)
Are you following The Mary Sue on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, & Google +?
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
Follow The Mary Sue:
Alanna Bennett - Weekend Editor