It’s 100 Days Until Avengers: Infinity War—Here’s What We Know so Far
We're still mostly in the dark.
— Captain America (@CaptainAmerica) January 23, 2018
Marvel kicked off an official 100-day countdown until the debut of Avengers: Infinity War, a movie that we know vanishingly little about except that every movie star in the universe is starring in it.
[Some possible Infinity War spoilers ahead]
I follow Infinity War news out of personal interest and professional necessity—and even by the standards previously set by the Marvel machine, it’s unbelievable how locked down almost everything about Infinity War‘s plot beyond “Thanos needs those shiny stones, the Avengers fight him” remains.
By contrast, Marvel seems curiously more lax on the movie that follows Infinity War, Avengers 4: Not Yet Titled Because That Would Be a Spoiler—we’ve seen numerous cast and set photos leaked in the last few months that hint at a major time travel or flashback event, although all of that might be a ploy in and of itself.
I’ve started to suspect that maybe Marvel is letting such seeming spoilers from the Avengers 4 set out into the wild to actually throw us even further off the Infinity War scent. Or they’re purposefully filming scenes that are intentionally misleading. Oh, there’s Thor and Loki wearing their old costumes from the Avengers! Maybe that means they don’t die in Infinity War! Check out Iron Man and Captain America clutching mysterious matching devices and also wearing Avengers-era costumes! Guess what everyone, all your faves survive Infinity War and this isn’t fake or a MacGuffin scene at all, we swear!
Otherwise, I can’t imagine why on earth Marvel would allow anything about Avengers 4 to leak out of their notoriously tight ship, considering we can’t even know the title yet, and the Russos say they won’t announce it until after Infinity War‘s release. Of course, I’m overthinking it because I have to grasp at Avengers 4 straws with so little Infinity War news. As for those leaked pictures, Joe Russo muddied the waters even further:
“It’s interesting because photos always leak and there’s lots of conjecture about what those photos mean,” Joe Russo added. “Certainly, there is a five minute sequence in Civil War around a piece of technology that was laid in for a very specific reason. If you go back and look at that film, you may get a hint as to the direction.”
OK! Enough of you and your distractions, Avengers 4: Haha I’m Here to Mess With Your Head.
Even though we’re 100 days from Infinity War, we’ve received only one official trailer and carefully orchestrated statements whenever anyone involved is asked. Since roughly 16,000 massive Hollywood stars are in this film, it’s remarkable that we know so little. This shit is on total lockdown.
So what do we know about Infinity War so far?
- Something happens with the Asgardian refugee ship because somehow Thor is found floating unconscious in space by the Guardians of the Galaxy, and the Hulk seems to crash-land back on Earth (conveniently into Doctor Strange’s house!) and turns back into Bruce Banner.
- At some point Thor also has a bad time trying to hold together (or pull apart?) some sort of giant fiery alien engine. Thor also gets his head grabbed and squeezed by Thanos. Basically, Thor seems to be having a really bad day.
- Loki has the Tesseract, but reports that he is allied in this movie with Thanos were greatly exaggerated. Loki also seems like he’s having a bad day.
- Steve Rogers has a blessed beard, and he’s likely hanging out with Black Widow, who has a new blonde haircut and a badass staff weapon. Visual placement in promotions suggests that Steve’s BFF Sam Wilson, a.k.a. Falcon, is also with them—and they’re likely all still on the lam when the movie starts. At some point, my king T’Challa calls for Steve to be given a shield.
- Steve’s old BFF Bucky Barnes is woken up at an unknown juncture and gets a new Winter Soldier arm likely courtesy of his Wakandan hosts. Bucky looks grimly ready to shoot a lot of things.
- Team Cap (Bucky, Black Widow, Falcon) plus Black Panther and Okoye, and, intriguingly, the Hulk, are seen in the trailer fighting a horde of Thanos’ outriders in Wakanda.
- Wanda Maximoff and Vision are making eyes at each other, which is unfortunate since somehow that Mind Stone has to come out of Vision’s forehead. Vision also seems to be in distress at the hands of Ebony Maw.
- Hulkbuster armor is back, but who’s in it?
- The Collector is around but his house may be on fire.
- Tony Stark and Doctor Strange are hanging out in New York City, going to all the best restaurants. OK, they’re combatting alien menaces that are threatening the city, and Peter Parker isn’t going to be left out of that action. Plus, Peter’s got a new suit. Wong and Bruce are there too! It’s a party. Not a fun one, though.
- Thanos totally punches Tony Stark, which has got to hurt, and Tony also tearfully clutches the hand of SOMEONE that he loves who may be lost.
- The Russo Bros. say that this is Thanos’ movie and that they want to craft a Darth Vader for a new generation.
Other than these things—mostly gleaned from the trailer, interviews with the directors, and descriptions of footage that was shown but never released from SDCC—we know nothing. Thanos needs those shiny magic stones, and the Avengers, allies, and new friends in various assortments are going to try and stop him. This is essentially still all we know.
Happy 100 days until Infinity War. If you’ve seen anything else I’ve missed, please tell me so that I have something to live on until the next inevitable picture leak from the Avengers 4 set leads me to question the nature of their reality and subsequently my own.
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com