Things We Saw Today: What Should Virginia Rename The Jefferson Davis Highway?
The Alexandria, Virginia City Council has voted to rename the Jefferson Davis Highway, and they want some suggestions for what to call it instead. You can offer up to three of your ideas on this form. Pretty much anyone would be a better choice to name a highway after, but I’m curious who you’d all like to see in particular. Harriet Tubman? Heather Heyer? Booker T. Washington (born in VA)? Willa Cather (born in VA)? (via Jalopnik)
- We lost two great comedians today. Dick Gregory, the dedicated civil rights activist and groundbreaking stand-up comedian, passed away at the age of 84. Jerry Lewis, the Nutty Professor comedian and muscular dystrophy activist, passed away at the age of 91.
- Heather Heyer’s cousin, Diana Ratcliff, published a crucial op-ed about how we can move forward and honor Heather’s memory after Charlottesville. Writing about Heather’s funeral, Ratcliff said, “The moment that will forever be burnt in my memory was when a speaker asked the uncomfortable question. While she hailed Heather’s courage, she asked something to this effect: ‘Why does a white woman have to get killed for you all to become outraged?’ All I could think was, ‘Heather is sitting in heaven right now, shaking her head in agreement.'”
- Go ahead and Google “Wubba lubba dub dub” from Rick and Morty. (via Nerdist)
- The National Video Game Museum in Frisco, Texas has announced that they’ll be awarding four $1,500 educational scholarships – and one is especially for women! (via GeekDad)
- Girls Trip has passed $100 million, making it the top R-rated comedy of 2017. But I thought only men could enjoy raunchy comedies? (via MTV News)
- Marvel and ABC have another teaser for Inhumans. (via /Film)
— Marvel’s Inhumans (@theinhumans) August 18, 2017
That’s all I caught today! What’d you all see?
(Featured image via Shutterstock)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com