Less than a week after word came down that Google would be purchasing the social platform Meebo change is already on the horizon. Nearly all of Meebo’s current products, including Meebo Messenger, will be discontinued as of July 11th, 2012. What is perhaps the most popular and most annoying product, the Meebo Bar, will continue to see additional support and improvements. Joy.
It certainly looks like 2012 is the end of the world for Meebo. Google’s likely to have made the move as a pure talent acquisition meant to shore up their own flagging social network, Google+. It was already known that the sales and marketing staff would be cut but to see such sweeping change this soon is a bit surprising. All the better to refocus those new employees as soon as possible.
Meebo provides a nice list of those products shutting down over on their website:
- Meebo Messenger (shutting down July 11th, 2012)
- Sharing on Meebo (shutting down July 11th, 2012)
- Meebo Me (shutting down July 11th, 2012)
- All Meebo Mobile Apps (shutting down July 11th, 2012)
It almost seems cruel to continue allowing the Meebo Bar to live when so many of its brethren should fall. Maybe we’ll be looking at the Google+ Bar soon enough.
- Google wants to own the .lol domain among others
- They’re even tracking ships now folks
- France sued Google over autocomplete because they could
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com