One of the many (many) memorable things to come out of the Harry Potter series are the Hogwarts houses. Each has their own distinct (yet intertwining) vibe. It makes sense, then, to use those vibes (and house animals) as inspiration for these rather striking dress designs (via io9)
- A dalmatian adopted a spotted lamb, and our hearts explode in response. (The Frisky)
- Nerd staples Neil Gaiman and Felicia Day are narrating a fantasy audiobook by Ellen Kushner, and we kind of can’t wait. (io9)
College Humor imagined what seven different websites would be as the seven deadly sins. Netflix is sloth:
- What is life like for those who’ve spent their entire lives unable to hear music? For many hearing-enabled, it’s hard to imagine. Luckily, one man decided to write about the first time a new hearing aid allowed him to experience the sound of some of humanity’s most beautiful music. It’s a great read; we teared up. (WNYC)
- Have any friends or acquaintances who have just recently found themselves delving into the geek world? This is a great post on how to “Feed and Care for a New Geek.” (GeekFemme)
- Jezebel delved into the wonderfully weird world of Olympic swimming fan fiction. Phlochte is a big hit.
- This is a strangely beautiful piece on what it’s like to live life “on” the internet. (Gizmodo):
I feel them breathing against the glass, hear their whispered snippets and spin them back through my own keyboard. We’re all looking into a different window of the same house, watching the same family have dinner, and yet we yell out to each other about it, around its corners or from its second floor, like its something one of us might have missed. We spend days on couches or at desks looking into (or out at?) a universe, still and stationary in our own. Noses pressed to the screens, wondering how the green beans taste.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]