Things We Saw Today: The Avengers and Game of Thrones Face Off on SNL
"Bitch, I'm Groot."
Last night’s episode of Saturday Night Live featured a cold open starring “the two things all Americans can get behind”, namely Game of Thrones and Avengers: Endgame. And they’re not wrong: pop culture discourse has been dominated by the two global franchises that are both wrapping up their run. So what better way to celebrate both worlds than by mashing them up in a Family Feud spoof?
The sketch sees Endgame characters Thor, Thanos, Okoye, and Groot face off against Game of Thrones‘s Brienne of Tarth, Tormund Giantsbane, Melisandre, and Bran Stark. Kenan Thompson was hilarious as always as host Steve Harvey, but the standouts in the sketch were Leslie Jones’s half-assed attempt at Groot and Kate McKinnon’s goofy Brienne.
There were several good gags, like when Thor tells Steve he’s “a God from space” and Steve responds with, “oh, so you’re a Scientologist.” We also learn that Thanos is on performance enhancing drugs, and Okoye would love nothing more than to kick off her shoes and binge Lindsay Lohan’s Beach Club with some Taco Bell (same, honestly).
Thompson also made fun of Game of Thrones “Battle of Winterfell” episode, which was criticized for being under-lit. “You know it’s dark when you can’t even see the white people” , he quipped. The Game of Thrones jokes were fairly lackluster, only boosted by the last-minute appearance of Melissa Villaseñor as Arya Stark.
SNL has spoofed both franchises over the years, with mixed results. “Family Feud” gets some good jokes in, but it pales in comparison to Kit Harington’s GOT spin-off sketch:
- Enjoy the delightful weirdness of this alternate Sonic the Hedgehog trailer. (via Kotaku)
- It’s barely been two weeks and Avengers: Endgame has already surpassed $2 billion at the box office. (via /Film)
- Disney Cruises solved feminism by finally allowing Minnie Mouse to be a ship captain. We did it? (via Inside the Magic)
- Michael Reeves invented a Roomba that curses when it bumps into stuff. Technology!
- Here’s everything we know about Disney+’s Star Wars series The Mandalorian. (via CBR)
- Here’s a lovely tribute to Chewbacca and the legacy of Peter Mayhew. (via GeekMom)
- Hopping into next week like:
I built a Roomba that swears when it bumps into stuff pic.twitter.com/ZdbKWGszT8
— Michael Reeves (@michaelreeves08) May 4, 2019
Hops, on a 💯😎 pic.twitter.com/VLIGeeoS6y
— Jimmy ✊🏾 #KeepItMoving (@jwheels74) May 3, 2019
Happy Revenge of the Fifth, Mary Suevians! What are y’all hopping into next week?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com