Things We Saw Today: Trump Gets Subpoenaed Over Sexual Assault Allegations
Yesterday, Buzzfeed reported that some of the many women who’ve come forward to accuse Donald Trump of groping, sexual harassment, or sexual assault were left feeling frustrated and ignored in the wake of the world’s strong condemnation of Harvey Weinstein. Why weren’t their stories given the same credence?
However, at least one of those women, Summer Zervos, is still moving forward against Trump in court. As part of her defamation suit against Trump, she recently filed a subpoena asking for “all documents” that pertain to his other alleged victims: Jessica Leeds, Mindy McGillivray, Rachel Crooks, Natasha Stoynoff, Temple Taggart, Kristin Anderson, Cathy Heller, Jill Harth, and Jessica Drake. Trump’s legal team will fight the subpoena in court, but here’s hoping Zervos sees some small justice. (via Buzzfeed)
- Comics criticism superstar Zainab Akhtar, creator of Comics & Cola, was forced off Twitter by racist and Islamophobic harassment. Feel free to support her Patreon in solidarity.
- New Mutants director Josh Boone revealed that he originally conceived of the project as a horror trilogy, with each of the three films representing “its own distinct sort of horror film.” (via io9)
- Anita Hill, the American hero who broke ground for women everywhere when she spoke out about Clarence Thomas’s sexual harassment of her during his Supreme Court confirmation hearings, recently penned an excellent op-ed for Variety about the economic costs of addressing harassment, and the way sexism crosses party lines. “Liberal men, high-achieving men, educated men, men who claim to support women, can be harassers,” she writes.
- SYFY Wire has a great list of 10 horror manga creators whose work you can read to get ready for Halloween.
- ScreenRant has the scoop on Cyborg’s in-movie origin story for the upcoming Justice League.
- Evergreen content from the dearly departed The Toast, satirizing the way men so often speak “as a father of daughters” when addressing sexism, like they didn’t know women were people until they procreated.
- After another weekend in the hellscape of 2017, here’s a seasonal reminder of the pure joy that is this tweet:
Tbt to Halloween when I dressed as the babadook but my friend’s house had more of a grown ups drinking wine vibe pic.twitter.com/PoGKUFeLLw
— Katie Dippold (@katiedippold) June 30, 2016
(Featured image via Shutterstock)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]