This is a Cupcake Booty Buddy. I’m being completely serious. (via That’s Nerdalicious)
- Did you know Belgium has an open-air library? Check it out at The Frisky!
- Do you love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? You can get a personalized and digitally autographed photo from Cadance and Shining Armor by texting ROYAL to 95323 or going to PonyWedding.com. It’s in honor of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Royal Pony Wedding being released on DVD on August 7 of course!
- Our sister site, The Jane Dough, has put together a list of the 15 Best Companies For Women.
A new still from Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim! (via The Daily Blam)
- George R.R. Martin is “dreading” that scene with the initials R.W. in the upcoming season of Game of Thrones. So are we, George. So. Are. We. (via Blastr)
- Michael Le writes Frustrations of an Asian Whedonite on Racialicious, exploring the lack of Asian characters in Joss Whedon’s Firefly universe (and elsewhere).
- In somewhat related news, Alan Tudyk, Mindy Kaling, and others have joined the cast of Wreck-It Ralph. (via Collider)
Movie nights with the Doctor must be AMAAAAZING. (via Blastr)
- AMC’s The Walking Dead is taking over Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights. “Visitors to both theme parks will experience mazes themed to the post-apocalyptic world in the AMC series that will feature elaborately designed sets that include iconic locations and scenes from the show (think Hershel’s farm and the upcoming prison featured in Season 3) with walkers wondering around both parks.” Oh. Man. (via THR)
- Writer Jeff Parker is going to be writing Red She-Hulk pretty soon in the Hulk title from Marvel. He had some interesting things to say about it. (via [email protected], Parker’s blog) (Related: Kelly Sue DeConnick’s Captain Marvel #1 hit stores yesterday and sold out!)
Though you may only know my superhero stories, I am far from someone who thinks that genre IS comics, and I know that others may fit female readers more naturally. But I don’t think we should abandon trying, because despite conventional wisdom, many do want stories about powerful women in big action- did Buffy the Vampire Slayer teach us nothing? This gender does have daydreams about throwing cars around and flattening fools with a backhand swat. The superhero model appeals to something fundamental in us- that we feel, despite appearances, we have untapped power that could break out in the right circumstances.
The HULK myth goes further- and somewhat scarier- because it acknowledges our rage. The feeling that deep inside, whether from personal history or even wilder remnants still left from our ancestors, we harbor something devastating. Feelings we have to work at constantly because in the real world, letting that out doesn’t end well. But to be Hulk is to let that wave roll right out and wash away everything in your way. If you don’t think the ladies can relate to that, you haven’t talked to any lately.
This kitten is named Clark Kent. He survived a serious surgery, specifically adapted for his size, to correct a condition called pectus excavatum (a problem with the bones in his chest). It’s all thanks to the hard work of the folks at Last Chance Animal Rescue. They gave him this adorably decorated cast until he was recovered and he even made a Krypto-like friend in the process. Check out more pictures and the whole story at Catster.com.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]