Things We Saw Today: Carina Is “A Woman of Science” in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
There are still some questions about whether Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales will rise to the original or flounder like some of the sequels–and many potential viewers will be skipping the film to avoid supporting the career of Johnny Depp. However, we did spot something cool in the new trailer. At one point, Carina Smyth (Kaya Scodelario), the female protagonist, snaps, “I’m a woman of science. I choose not to believe in ghosts.” She’s also described by Henry (Brenton Thwaites) as “the only one who can help us.” I don’t want to read too much into a few lines of dialogue, but…is a lady engineer going to save the day??? (via CBR)
- While the U.S. struck a blow against its own evil overlord on March 24, March 25 is actually the official Fall of Sauron Day–okay, it’s really called Tolkien Reading Day, but it’s so named because March 25, 3019 is the date that J.R.R. Tolkien assigned to the final defeat of Sauron. SyfyWire put together “10 quotes that show the strength and hope that ultimately defeated Sauron” to celebrate and inspire.
- While popular culture likes to separate nerd fandom from sports fandom, Cubs shortstop Addison Russell is having none of that. He’s been spotted hanging his prize Pokemon cards, including a holographic Zapdos, in the Cubs locker room. (via Kotaku)
- Marvel and Sony have shared another poster for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Like the previous posters, this one highlights Peter’s hometown, New York City, and the movie’s light, colorful look.
— Spider-Man (@SpiderManMovie) March 25, 2017
- Citing poor holiday earnings driven by “weak sales of certain AAA titles” and “aggressive console promotions by other retailers on Thanksgiving and Black Friday,” GameStop announced that it will close 150 stores (about 2-3% of its worldwide count) in 2017. (via Polygon)
- Justice League director Zack Snyder spoke to USA Today and gave us some hints about Cyborg’s role and arc. “You have Jason [Momoa] stomping around as this inked hairy man, just this mythic figure. And you’ve got Ezra [Miller], who’s full of life and hilarious and all over the place and amazing — a really fun and also poignant Flash. And Ray [Fisher]’s story is in a lot of the ways the heart of the movie.”
- Today was Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds’ memorial. Mark Hamill posted the following remembrance of Carrie:
Then there was the time she promised if I went 1st-she’d heckle my funeral. Fiercely funny-I know she would also like us all to laugh today. pic.twitter.com/K2iQtA57W4
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) March 25, 2017
Resist Sauron. Take time to laugh. That’s all I got for you today!
(Featured image via screengrab from Walt Disney Studios’ trailer)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]