Things We Saw Today: LeVar Burton Would Be Honored To Host Jeopardy!
Fans have peititoned for the TV legend to replace Alex Trebek
We’re still in mourning following the death of iconic Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek. Trebek’s final episode of Jeopardy! will air on Christmas Day, and the show will remain in reruns—but eventually, the landmark gameshow will need to find a new host. And many folks on the internet have already decided who it should be: LeVar Burton.
A petition for Burton to take on the Jeopardy! hosting duties has gained over 21,000 signatures since launching early in the week (and that number’s growing fast). The petition cites Burton’s long history as an educational television host on Reading Rainbow, as well as his time playing iconic smarty pants Geordi LaForge on Star Trek: The Next Generation. “LeVar Burton has inspired and shaped the minds of several generations of trivia-loving nerds,” the petition reads, and … they are right.
LeVar Burton would be an amazing new host on Jeopardy, and for his part, Burton sounds like he’s up for it. And he appreciates the love.
Even if nothing comes from it, I can’t tell how much how I appreciate all y’alls love and support! 🙏🏾♥️
— LeVar Burton (@levarburton) November 12, 2020
The push for Burton is a fantastic campaign, but … you don’t have to take my word for it. Across Twitter, the idea is gaining momentum.
Spend any amount of time with @LeVarBurton, and you’ll discover he’s the kindest human being out there, and a life-longer learner.
Very few could step into the shoes left behind by the passing of Alex Trebek, but LeVar is one of them.
— Aaron Mahnke (@amahnke) November 12, 2020
— Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) November 12, 2020
— Christian Kane (@ChristianKane01) November 12, 2020
— Greendale Community College (@alreadyaccepted) November 12, 2020
We here at The Mary Sue are all for this idea. LeVar Burton has long been our favorite choice to follow Trebek, and a favorite in general. It’s hard to imagine Jeopardy! choosing anyone else. Make it so, television gods!
(image: Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia Commons)
Here are a few other things we saw this fine Thursday.
- A bunch of MAGA morons have already booked the DC Trump hotel for the inauguration. Good Luck. (via The Daily Beast)
- That HBO Max Friends reunion is still on and will maybe shoot … next March. (via Entertainment Weekly)
- Danai Gurira will play Shirley Chisholm in a new film! (via Vulture)
- You can now smell like the sexiest thing ever: Books.
View this post on Instagram
- Did Riot Games use this woman as the basis for a character and not tell her? (via Medium)
- Freshman Congresswoman Cori Bush needed fashion help and everyone stepped up to give it to her. (via HuffPo)
- Get to know Maria Bakalova, the breakout star of Borat 2. (via The New York Times)
- And finally, relive this iconic moment from local Oregon news from 50 years ago today.
Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of Oregon’s attempt to clear a sperm-whale carcass off the beach. The method? Obliteration via 20 cases of dynamite.
It’s an event that led to what is surely one of the greatest local TV news segments of the century:pic.twitter.com/Z1VMT8s1LE
— Mike Baker (@ByMikeBaker) November 12, 2020
Have a great Thursday night! What did you see today?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org