Things We Saw Today: Marvel’s Kevin Feige on Shang-Chi and Body-Positive Superheroes
Plus scary Easter bunnies, sad dinosaurs, and more!
We’re just days away from Avengers: Endgame, which will close a massive chapter in Marvel’s decade of film-making. And while the end is nigh, Marvel head Kevin Feige is looking towards the bold, inclusive future of the brand. Marvel is already making good on their promise of diversity in front of and behind the camera, with their upcoming Shang-Chi adaptation which will introduce Marvel’s first Asian lead.
Feige said of the film, “I think every movie that we do is a risk. We only want to do movies that people seem to think are risks. Doing the story of an Asian-American hero of Chinese heritage is something that is very intriguing to us. It will be really different and special.”
Alongside Shang-Chi, Marvel is already in pre-production on The Eternals, which will be directed by Chloe Zhao, the first woman of color to helm a Marvel film. The film has cast Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani, and is currently looking to cast a gay Asian male lead in what will be their first openly gay character.
Feige also spoke for the first time about body-positivity in the genre, and he had a thoughtful response. When asked if audiences would ever see a superhero that resembled real bodies, he joked “Yes, I would because then maybe I can be a superhero.” Feige followed up by saying, “Traditionally, if you look at the way they are drawn in the comics, they go to very iconic mythic proportions … We happen to have many actors and actresses who have mythic proportions themselves for real but I will just say yes and perhaps sooner than you think.”
(via CBR, image: Christopher Polk/Getty Images)
- The expansion for Jurassic World Evolution features the saddest broken dinosaur, and frankly it’s bumming us out. (via Kotaku)
- Diana might be heading to the White House in these images from Wonder Woman 1984. Fingers crossed she meets Nancy Reagan and Mr. T! (via CBR)
- Cold Justice: police officers of Trondheim, Norway have finally arrest the Night King for animal cruelty and wall destruction. (via Syfy Wire)
- Enjoy this massive Avengers: Endgame mash-up super trailer and remember all the times. (via io9)
- Hey Master Chiefs: here’s a behind the scenes look at Showtime’s Halo TV series. (via Daily Dot)
- Happy Easter everybody! Enjoy these terrifying vintage Easter Bunny photos! (via Buzzfeed)
— ABC 7 News – WJLA (@ABC7News) April 18, 2019
21 Throwback Easter Bunny Photos That Are Too Creepy For Words https://t.co/QWmQah9f98
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) April 21, 2019
How are you spending your Easter, Mary Suevians?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org