Jordan Peele Responds to All Your Get Out Conspiracy Theories
As part of a larger interview with Vanity Fair, Jordan Peele responded to a bunch of conspiracy theories, Easter eggs, and other fan questions about Get Out from Reddit. Some of the questions are wonderfully ridiculous, but others speak to how closely fans have examined this film, and how thoughtfully Peele constructed even the smallest details of the costumes, character interactions, and scenes.
Some of the conspiracy theories addressed include:
- Is Get Out an imagined scenario of Rod the TSA agent?
- Is Get Out a sequel to Being John Malkovich?
Peele also addresses a number of questions about potentially significant details, including:
- When do we first get a hint about the grandparents?
- What does the deer mean?
- What’s the explanation for separating the Fruit Loops from the milk?
- Is there any symbolism to the cars?
- Why were the Armitages so obsessed with Chris’s smoking?
- Do the hats mean what we think they mean?
- Is Walter always running because of his past?
- Why was Jeremy playing Bach on the ukulele?
These questions, and the level of viewer engagement with the film, provide yet more evidence of how brilliant and timely Get Out was. Though it’s been grievously mis-classified as a comedy for Golden Globes consideration, here’s hoping the Oscars (I know, I know) treats it better.
Did Peele leave any of your favorite theories unaddressed?
(Via Vanity Fair; image: screencap)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—