Things We Saw Today: Legendary Comedian Gilbert Gottfried Dead at 67
RIP to an absolute legend.
The world just got a little less funny: iconic comedian and voice actor Gilbert Gottfried has passed away after battling a long illness. Gottfried was a prolific comedian and comedy mainstay since he began doing stand-up at 15 years old in 1970. Often described as a “comedian’s comedian”, Gottfried joined the cast of Saturday Night Live in 1980. He appeared in films like Beverly Hills Cop II, Problem Child, and The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Gottfried was also beloved for his prolific voice-acting work, most famously as Iago the parrot in Disney’s Aladdin. Gottfried lent his voice to countless characters over the years, on shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and voiced Mister Mxyzptlk in Superman: The Animated Series, Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, Justice League Action, and Lego DC Super-Villains. A regular presence at Comedy Central Roasts and talk shows, he hosted Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast.
His family announced Gottfried’s passing on his social media channels, writing “Although today is a sad day for all of us, please keep laughing as loud as possible in Gilbert’s honor.”
Many comedians and fans took to social media to fondly remember Gottfried and share their condolences.
(image: Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images for SiriusXM)
- Here’s a deep dive into how controversy almost derailed the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ franchise. (via Variety)
- Maya Rudolph will star in the new Apple TV+ series ‘Loot’. (via Apple)
- ‘Girls5eva’ returns for a second season with a new trailer drop. (via The Daily Beast)
- The city of Cincinnati falls for Ed Sheeran hoax. (via WKFR)
- The mystery of the self-driving car in San Francisco. (via NBC Bay Area)
- Tyra Mail! A deep dive into the drama behind America’s Next Top Model. (via Business Insider)
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]