Things We Saw Today: Cyrus Goodman Becomes the First Official Gay Character on the Disney Channel
It is a new era in Disney Channel entertainment because the show Andi Mack has given the world Disney’s first openly gay character, Cyrus Goodman. The news that Cyrus coming out has been known since 2017, but it has finally come to pass, and honestly, even though I have aged out of this kind of show, that doesn’t change how excited I am to see that this has happened!
CYRUS GOODMAN JUST MADE DISNEY CHANNEL HISTORY pic.twitter.com/n2mtFsEIwZ
— ally 🥡 (@easeIy) February 8, 2019
For young kids to see a young gay boy come out and be accepted by his friends is really important—not to mention Cyrus is gay and Jewish, which will be interesting to explore in whatever way Disney might want to highlight it. Regardless, this is a great thing for Disney to do, especially since they want to host Pride events. They should start building some canonically gay characters to show that pro-LGBTQ rhetoric isn’t just all talk.
(image: Disney Channel)
- Chad Michael Murry is going to join Riverdale in a reoccurring role. Now all I want is Shannen Doherty to come into the show and flirt with Luke Perry. Please, ’90s teen gods. (via Variety)
- Carol Danvers is a screamer in this new TV spot. Rooting for a Black Canary/Captain Marvel crossover. (via i09)
- Max Landis is trying to make his post-#MeToo comeback with a “feminist” action film. Thank u, next. (via Daily Beast)
- Ellen Page, the superior Ellen, calls out Chris Pratt for his support of Hillsong “Church,” which is known for its homophobia. (Indiewire)
- AOC breaks down, for all those in the back, why lobbyist dark money in government is so dangerous and why we need to change it. (HuffPo)
- We Hate Movies listener request month live drawing <3
Thank goodness it is finally Friday.
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com