Things We Saw Today: The U.S. Voted Against UN Resolution Banning the Death Penalty for LGBTQIA+ People
US joins Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, China & Egypt in voting NO on UN resolution opposing death penalty for LGBTs https://t.co/oeJRY8nxtW
— Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald) October 3, 2017
So, here’s another addition to today’s Terrible Parade: The U.S. Amabassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, voted against a resolution that would globally ban the death penalty for LGBTQIA+ people, joining Botswana, Burundi, Egypt, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, China, India, Iraq, Japan, Quatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE. Oh, and the resolution also would ban the death penalty for things like blasphemy and adultery, expressing the specific concern that “the application of the death penalty for adultery is disproportionately imposed on women.”
Just so you’re aware: THE PERSON IN CHARGE OF REPRESENTING OUR INTERESTS AND VALUES TO THE GLOBAL COMMUNITY JUST VOTED AGAINST THE LIVES OF LGBTQIA+ PEOPLE AND WOMEN. ALSO, AGAINST POLITICAL DISSIDENTS. Don’t let anyone tell you that our government values “life.” They clearly don’t.
- In not-dreary news, here is a first look at Felicity Jones as Ruth Bader Ginsberg in the upcoming biopic, On the Basis of Sex. (via The Playlist)
- The First Wives Club‘s TV reboot has found its writer in Tracy Oliver, who co-wrote the recent film hit, Girls Trip. (via Deadline Hollywood)
- MIT’s Rainer Weiss, and CIT’s Kip Thorne and Barry Barish were just awarded the 2017 Nobel Prize in Physics for the discovery of gravitational waves, which were predicted by Albert Einstein, but have never been seen until now. (via The New York Times)
— UPROXX (@UPROXX) October 3, 2017
So…this is a thing that happened. *sigh* (via Uproxx)
- Kendall Jenner apparently feels really bad about causing pain with her appearance in that ill-advised Pepsi commercial. Thing is, does she actually understand why people were upset? Judging by the fact that she doesn’t even mention or allude to things like Black Lives Matter, probably not. (via The Huffington Post)
- Check out this fascinating profile on the super-talented and enigmatic Frances McDormand. (via Jezebel)
- Lastly, Rosanne Cash, country singer/songwriter and daughter of country legend Johnny Cash and his first wife, Vivian Liberto Cash Distin, wrote an op-ed calling on other country music artists to stand up to the NRA in favor of stricter gun control. (via The New York Times)
Well that’s it from us today! What have you seen out there? We welcome any and all cute and/or hopeful things.
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]