Things We Saw Today: You Wanted More Star Trek? Oh, You’re Getting More Star Trek.
The showrunners of Star Trek: Discovery recently exited the show over allegations of verbal and emotional abuse, but if you were worried that would hinder your Star Trek intake, you need not fear. Producer Alex Kurtzman has taken over not just that series, but he’s also signed a new deal with CBS that could result in multiple new additions to the franchise. According to Variety, those include:
- A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW’s reboot of “Dynasty” and previously created shows like “Gossip Girl” and Hulu and Marvel’s “Runaways.”
- A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
- A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”
- An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
As if those pitches weren’t exciting enough, The Hollywood Reporter is offering some additional details, relaying a rumor that Patrick Stewart might be onboard to reprise his role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. To which we say …
- Ever wonder how a proposed troll boycott actually affects Star Wars creators? It’s not exactly dire. (via Twitter)
- Speaking of, this is super interesting: Viewing Westworld’s Man in Black as a stand-in for toxic fan culture. (via Den of Geek)
- Revisiting the complete canon of Octavia Butler. (via Portalist)
- Because I cannot contain my excitement for the upcoming adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s Sharp Objects, here are just some pictures of Amy Adams, looking great. (via Go Fug Yourself)
- Michael B. Jordan is amazed he won the MTV Movie Award for Best Villain, considering Roseanne Barr exists. (But I suppose she’s in television anyway.)
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) June 19, 2018
- I haven’t owned an American Girl doll since my 1990s Molly, but I think I need this in my life:
And now for something completely different: You can now get an American Girl Doll with an “Xbox Gaming Set” – a console, controller, headset and her own gaming chair. https://t.co/E20lsIxT5c pic.twitter.com/PrLb99nKTB
— Larry Hryb (@majornelson) June 19, 2018
What did you all see out there today?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org