In case you didn’t notice we love Lucifer. Well, the version of him on Netflix that solves crimes and looks dashing doing it. The actual devil? He’s more complicated. In fact the devil and other dark and dangerous gods have been a part of mythology for centuries and a new twenty-minute featurette from Netflix digs into all the different mythological influences on our own Lucifer Morningstar.
I love this, especially since there are a few influences here that didn’t occur to me. Sure, I would easily rank Lucifer among the celestial rebels and tempters but, I would immediately have categorized him as a trickster or as a dark mirror, but he certainly is. Comparing Lucifer to Loki? Yeah it turns out I (and a whole lot of folks) might have a very specific type when it comes to our antihero crushes and favorite myths.
Anytime I get to learn about myths, I love it, and it’s always fun to remember that much of our conception of Lucifer comes from popular culture, even that of the middle ages, rather than just from the Bible. Lucifer himself would probably remind us that he hates that whole goat thing …
Here are a few other things we saw today:
- Dive into this excellent essay on how Richard Wagner shaped Hollywood, in ways good and bad. (via The New Yorker)
- Scream 5 will hit theaters on January 14, 2o22. Hopefully, theaters will be open by then. (via The Wrap)
- Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles shared some emotional messages as Supernatural began filming their final episode. (via EW)
- A fascinating thread from one of our favorite (but very NSFW) twitter accounts:
This is Judith Beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio, c.1598. It’s one of the most dramatic & famous paintings of the Renaissance. Beyond the mighty Caravaggio, the tragic stories of three Italian women are combined within it.
(CW. Sexual violence, murder & torture) pic.twitter.com/g72K2G8550
— Whores of Yore (@WhoresofYore) August 23, 2020
- Is Dan Stevens an underrated romantic genre hero? (via Syfy Fangrrls)
- If you’re looking for some inspiring Black activists and reasons for hope, Vanity Fair has 22. (via Vanity Fair)
- Pizza Hut or Dominos? Which garbage pizza is worse? (via Mashable)
- And finally, this gem from comedian Vinny Thomas brought me joy, I hope it does the same for you.
— V!nny Thomas (@vinn_ayy) August 23, 2020
Stay safe out there, Suvians.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]