In “stop trying to make fetch happen” news, the latest attempt to remake The Crow has reached yet another snag. Lead actor Jason Momoa, aka Aquaman, along with director Corin Hardy, have both left the film just a month before filming was getting ready to start.
The reason cited, according to io9, is “creative and financial differences” with rights-holder Davis Films. Momoa was apparently really upset about this development and took to Instagram saying that this was a dream role for him and that hopefully, he will get to do it one day with the right team.
I feel like The Crow is one of those films where lightning was caught in a bottle and it managed to become a cult hit. Its tragic real-life ramifications for star Brandon Lee, who died after an accident on set, is also a huge part of the movie’s history. Trying to re-create The Crow hasn’t worked, but people keep trying. I mean we have a Dune movie coming out soon so anything is possible.
I’ve waited 8 years to play this dream role. I love you @corinhardy and @sonypictures unfortunately I may have to wait 8 more. Not our team. But I swear I will. James O’Barr sorry to let you down I won’t on the next. This film needs to be set free. And to the fans. Sorry. I can’t play anything but what this film deserves and it needs love. I’m ready when it’s right. Love u Corin aloha j
- 1994 was the year that gave us The Lion King, Pulp Fiction, and Forrest Gump, but as Den of Greek would love to remind you, it also gave us some amazing cult classics like Immortal Beloved and Heavenly Creatures. Take a look at 25 underrated movies from the ol ’94 era. (via Den of Geek)
- We might be getting a certain fowl villain in the upcoming DCU Batman movie. Hopefully, it won’t have us all yelling “Keaton did it!” (via i09)
- Marc Sollinger from the fantasy audio series podcast Archive 81 talks to The Portalist about how he uses sound to create the atmosphere of the show. (via The Portalist)
- Apparently, prison reform is a big issue for the president’s least disappointing relative, Jared Kushner. Why? Oh because his father was in there for a year due to tax evasion and other white collar crimes that sound super important, but only ever lead to a year in federal prison. (via Pajiba)
- Lindy West wrote an awesome op-ed in the Times about the racist climate that Roseanne has paid into and the right for us to say we don’t want that shit. (via NYT)
Are you still hoping for an eventual The Crow remake?
(via io9, image: Miramax Films)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org