Things We Saw Today: Black Lives Matter Activists Bailed Moms Out of Jail for Mother’s Day
On Mother’s Day, a lot of parents and children just want one thing: to be together as a family. However, for mothers who’ve been arrested and can’t afford bail, this often isn’t a possibility. Despite not being convicted of a crime, they’re kept in a cell until they can pay their bail. If they can’t pay, minor offenses like driving with a suspended license can suddenly shut them off from their kids for months on end.
This year, through the Mama’s Bail Out Day campaign, Black Lives Matter and other social justice groups like Color of Change, the Movement 4 Black Lives, and Southerners on New Ground raised more than $550,000 to bail out black women across the country in time for Mother’s Day. This campaign made it possible for scores of families to reunite for the holiday. We’ve all still got lots of work to do to end the system that sustains this money-for-freedom horror show – but today, I’m glad these moms got to come home to their loved ones. (via Time and Democracy Now!)
- Oh, look! Women are funny! Melissa McCarthy’s fifth stint hosting Saturday Night Live was a ratings smash. It “brought in its best ratings in nearly a decade for a May episode. (Via MTV)
- Ugh. Marvel has cancelled Black Panther: The Crew, a progressive comic starring an all-black superhero team investigating police brutality, after just two issues. (It will run until issue #6.) But don’t worry – Marvel’s still standing by Nazi Captain America! (via io9)
- The Muse posted a great interview with the costume designer for The Handmaid’s Tale. She discusses her historical inspirations and how getting into the mindset of Gilead’s ruling class “gives [her] fucking nightmares.”
- Sarah Andersen has shared a pretty hilarious comic about joining a fandom.
— Sarah Andersen (@SarahCAndersen) May 13, 2017
- According to concept artist Iain McCaig, who worked on Revenge of the Sith, Padme had a much more active role in the original draft of the script. Though she was rather passive in the final cut, the earlier draft had her masterminding the birth of the Rebellion and plotting to stab Anakin. (via /Film)
(Featured image via screengrab)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org