The Delightfully Difficult Super Meat Boy is Going Mobile
Super Meat Boy, arguably one of the best — and hardest — platformers of the modern era, is known for its punishing difficulty and unbelievably tight controls. That being that case, it would be perfect as a touchscreen smartphone game. Wait, would it? Team Meat thinks it could be. In a flurry of tweets today, Team Meat released some info about the upcoming Super Meat Boy mobile that might ease some of your fears, namely that it’s not so much a port as a complete re-envisioning.
Details are still sparse, but there are a couple of important details to note.
- This game is not going to play like Super Meat Boy on traditional platforms, but Team Meat is saying that fans of the original won’t be disappointed by the new gameplay.
- The development is still in its early stages right now, and if things don’t seem to be working out, Team Meat is going to drop the project and pretend it never existed.
- It’s not going to be some kind of Doodle Jumper-esque minigame; it’s going to be a larger game-sperience.
- It won’t control like traditional Super Meat Boy, and it won’t have “shitty touch controls,” either. Their words, not mine.
All told, I am extremely excited to get my hands on some new bloody Meat Boy fun, and I’m practically salivating at the chance to be able to take it with me where ever I go. On top of that, I’m also looking forward to throwing more money at Team Meat. It seems that they took this opportunity because it seemed like an interesting challenge, and I think they can pull it off. Super Meat Boy is literally one of my favorite video games ever and I just want more of it in any flavor they’re willing to make.
If you haven’t played Super Meat Boy, I highly recommend you check it out. It isn’t for everyone, but if it’s for you, man. The Binding of Isaac is pretty righteous too. Give ’em a shot and get stoked for some more meaty goodness.
- Super Meat Boy has a level editor on Steam
- PETA, obviously, is not a very big fan. Team Meat used that to their advantage
- 3D printed Super Meat Boy characters
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]