I’ve already showed you the big panels and the panels you might miss if you’re not careful. Now I’m here to give you details on what you can get up to after show hours. New York Comic Con is a bit tougher for fans because well, New York is a really big, spread out city. Of course cabs are plentiful and those organizing events tried to stay in one general area but either way, you should have a game plan before you head out. Here’s just a few events going on after the show doors close for the day.
- NYCC Kick-off Drink and Draw: (Tempest Bar 407 8th Ave Between 30th & 31st) To kick off the 2011 New York Comic Con, ComixTribe and The Webcomic Alliance are hosting a drink and draw meet up at Tempest Bar, just a few blocks from the convention center. If you’re attending the convention and like to drink, draw, and/or talk comics with fellow creators, you need to be here. RSVP in advance so we can give the bar a solid headcount for reserving tables.
- Rock Comic Con 2: (Tobacco Road 355 W. 41st St) Featuring nerd rock bands, PAUL AND STORM, KIRBY KRACKLE and H2AWESOME! along with several special guests. Rock Comic Con is a comic book/sci-fi related concert event that compliments the New York Comic Con and takes place Friday, October 14th at 9pm (Doors at 7:30) at Tobacco Road located in Midtown NYC. Only a few blocks from the convention center!! Rock Comic Con will also feature a slew of professional cartoonists from DC Comics, Marvel Comics and indie publishers who will be painting live art throughout the night. The art will be auctioned off and proceeds will go to benefit the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of the First Amendment rights of the comics art form and its community of retailers, creators, publishers, librarians, and readers. NOTE: There’s a good chance of the show SELLING OUT in advance so we HIGHLY recommend getting your tickets as soon as possible!
- S.O.S.Gamers New York Comic con HERO PARTY: (Tenth Rail 413 10th Avenue) S.O.S.Gamers is proud to present our first annual New York Comic con after hours event: The Hero party! In celebration of our future initiatives, we are going to show you how S.O.S.Gamers gets down and has fun. So whether you want to come kick back and relax over a cool cocktail, get your game on with our video game entertainment, or dance to the tunes provided by our live DJs, mark your calendar for this one because it isn’t an event to be missed! 21+
- Drinks for a Cure @ NYCC – presented by iFanboy & Shirts for A Cure: (Idle Hands Bar, 25 Ave B) This year we’ve teamed up with our friends at Shirts for a Cure to throw an awesome party and help in the fight against breast cancer. We’ll be welcoming comic book superstars Kieron Gillen (Uncanny X-Men, Journey Into Mystery, Phonogram) and Jamie McKelvie (X-Men: Season One, Phonogram) to step up to the turntables to DJ, as well as our very own Ron Richards (DJ Ronxo) will be DJing a set too. Proceeds from drinks will go charity to help fight breast cancer! This has got the makings of yet another epic iFanboy party that you don’t want to miss!
- Warren Ellis: Captured Ghosts NYC Sneak Preview Screening: (Cinema Village 22 E. 12th Street) Warren Ellis sees the future. He is a comic book writer and cyberpunk philosopher living on the edge of tomorrow. He speaks to a cult audience of artists, journalists, scientists and fans who hail him as INTERNET JESUS. Now, be among the first to see the film that takes you inside his head. This is the first screening of the film anywhere, and tickets are on sale now! Tickets for last year’s screening of Grant Morrison: Talking With Gods went fast, so don’t wait to buy! Adult tickets are $11, Student tickets are available for $8. Get them here. The film’s entire creative team, including director Patrick Meaney and producer Jordan Rennert, will be in attendance at the screening, and a few other guests may turn up as well! Meet us before the film for drinks at the Reservoir Bar (just two short blocks from the Cinema Village theatre) from 9pm to 11pm (film starts at 11:15).
- [Editor’s Note: You can also stop by our own The Mary Sue/Kickstarter meetup! Details here.]
- Geek Girls Network – #NYCC Geek-Out: (Stitch Bar & Lounge) Many of those that attended last year’s event remember what an amazing time we all had …finally having a place to sit and mingle with friends, meet some new ones, and win lots of great swag. This year is no different. Join GGN on Saturday October 15th from 7pm to close for a night of nerds, tunes and prizes at the oustanding Stitch Bar & Lounge. So how do you make sure you don’t miss the biggest party of the year? First, RSVP on our Facebook page to let GGN know you want to come and to keep up with all the latest news on the event. Then, we will have ticket sales online (a mere $5) on a first-come first-serve basis. Since we can’t fit everyone we love in the same room on the same night *sad panda* make sure to get your tickets as soon as they’re released!
- Indy After Party: (Blaggards Pub 8 West 38th St) Last Year’s party drew in a cross-spectrum of professionals in the industry, and a crowd of over 300 patrons. Blaggards, which is just six blocks east of the Javits Convention Center, is the new home for this increasingly popular and successful event. We welcome you to celebrate our common cultural icons, and the new ones we are about to create. This year we are proud to welcome returning recording artists, Mad Larry! Billy and Brendan Ryan of the Ryan Brothers along with outstanding musicians, Chris Fischer (bass) and Peter Michaels (drums) take influences from a wide range of artists such as Tom Waits, Talking Heads, The Platters, and Neil Young, Mad Larry has won over legions of fans with their catchy songs and energetic live performances. Their first album, entitled Mad Larry, was released in September 2008 and is available on iTunes. We expect that Mad Larry will be doing new cuts from their album as well as select numbers from their combined discography.
- TheOneRing.Net Party: (The Speakeasy at the Gin Mill, 442 Amsterdam Avenue) Are you a Tolkien fan? Coming to New York Comic Con and hoping to meet like-minded people? Looking for a great party for the Friday of con? Look no further! TheOneRing.net are throwing a party in Manhattan, and YOU are invited! This event, held in a private venue on the upper West Side, will be an exclusive chance for dwarves, hobbits, elves and men to hang out and to celebrate all things Middle Earth! Ticket price includes appetizers, one drink of your choice, and an exciting goody bag, which will contain an exclusive TheOneRing.net shirt (available during NY Comic Con only) and other surprise goodies from sponsors such as PEZ and Think Geek. Your ticket also includes chances to win some awesome prizes, including a Bag End Environment from Weta, an Aragorn statue by Sideshow, and a year’s subscription to Empire magazine! Our party will be held at The Speakeasy at the Gin Mill, 442 Amsterdam Avenue. This beautiful location provides the perfect atmosphere, and includes plenty of reasonably priced choices for drink and bar food, so party goers can eat, drink and be Merry (or Pippin if you prefer…) to their hearts’ content. Joining us at our party will be Hobbit in 5 presenter Simone Boyce, and The Tolkien Professor himself, Corey Olsen! (wwww.tolkienprofessor.com) You can expect more surprises on the night – it will certainly be a night to remember, and we hope to see you there! Tickets are only $40 and are selling fast! Buy them at http://form.jotform.com/form/12671524338 or at our booth on Thursday or Friday of the con – booth #2813. Numbers for the party will be strictly limited, so don’t delay – order your tickets today!
- James Marsters In Concert: (Broadway Bar, 198 Broadway Amityville, NY) James Marsters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Torchwood and Caprica singing an accoustic performance! Doors at 9 pm, performance at 10:30 pm. Tickets $20.
- An Evening with the Winston Churchill (Ian McNiece): (Cafe 50 West) Who York is delighted to be able to bring Ian to New York City, for what we plan to be another fun event. We’ll be hosting a Q&A panel session, and there will be an autograph session (see details below) and hopefully a surprise or two – as I hope you have come to expect from our previous SOLD OUT Who York events!!! We have room for around 60 people in total, so this will naturally be a more intimate event than most conventions you may have attended. Entrance is $20 per person in advance. This is to cover our expenses.Food and drink at the bar is “pay as you go”, and please eat and drink and tip well, to show the generous people at Cafe 50 your appreciation and to thank them for their support.
You can also check out the list NYCC provides on their website for a few more events. Have fun and be safe!
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com