Things We Saw Today: Joe Biden Says He Asked Barack Obama Not to Endorse Him & Isn’t That Convenient for Him?
Today’s Things We Saw is an Avengers Endgame-free space, so instead, let’s check in with Joe Biden, who officially announced Thursday that he’s becoming the approximately one billionth Democrat to enter the 2020 presidential race. Despite having run and lost this race three times, he’s considered a major frontrunner.
Much of that, of course, is due to name recognition in a crowded field this early in the race, and his affiliation with President Barack Obama. But don’t expect Obama to endorse Biden anytime soon. Though, according to Biden, that has nothing to do with his decades of problematic stances on race, his disgraceful mishandling of Anita Hill during Clarence Thomas’ SCOTUS confirmation hearing, his refusal to apologize to the women he’s made uncomfortable with his nonconsensual intimate touching, or the fact that he’s mighty chummy with corporate lobbyists and GOP donors.
No, according to Biden, President Obama won’t be endorsing his campaign because Biden “asked him not to.” To which the entire internet replied,
for the record I asked idris elba not to be my boyfriend https://t.co/iR2OAQAsiA
— ziwe (@ziwe) April 25, 2019
I asked Rihanna not to DM me https://t.co/p3TytePAjH
— Steadman™ (@AsteadWesley) April 25, 2019
Much like I asked Britney Spears not to accompany me to prom https://t.co/hj5dqlE4aX
— Patrick Monahan (@pattymo) April 25, 2019
I asked Cate Blanchett not to date me https://t.co/VSd5N7ddvz
— Lauren Duca (@laurenduca) April 25, 2019
I asked Louboutin to not make size 13 heels. https://t.co/F6WfnGbPOX
— Charlotte Clymer🏳️🌈 (@cmclymer) April 26, 2019
I asked tilda swinton not to be my best friend and lover https://t.co/zOZqudL42K
— Goth Ms. Frizzle (@spookperson) April 26, 2019
So good for Biden for asking for what he wants, just like the rest of us! Of course his desire to win the presidency based on his own merit and not his relationship to President Obama hasn’t kept him from using images of Obama in his campaign materials, but I guess we’re working on baby steps here.
Biden featuring Obama (who has not endorsed any candidate) in numerous Facebook ads pic.twitter.com/Etr7MvgJXx
— Judd Legum (@JuddLegum) April 25, 2019
- The true story of the literary hoax that is made-up author J.T. Leroy–which will come to the big screen in the form of an eponymous movie this week–is bananas. (via Pajiba)
- I really miss the 90s trend of the “teenage alpha bitch.” (via, appropriately, Bitch)
- Not into bitches? How about witches? Here are 10 witch-centric books to check out. (via Portalist)
- This is tonight!
— Full Frontal (@FullFrontalSamB) April 25, 2019
- The Kansas Supreme Court made a historic ruling today supporting the constitutionality of abortion. (via Rewire)
- Does Thanos actually love Gamora? This is an interesting look at the question and includes ZERO Endgame spoilers or even discussion. (It was written before the movie’s release.) (via YouTube)
(image: Obama White House by Pete Souza on Flickr)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]