We get a lot of emails about Kickstarter campaigns around these parts, but this one—”KitRex: the 3D paper velociraptor that you build yourself!“—caught our eye. Fun tip: Having a campaign that involves dinosaurs and googly eyes never hurts. (Thanks to tipster Amy)
- Canadian singer Christo Graham re-recorded all the songs from Jesus Christ Superstar as if they were sung by Muppets. It’s called Muppet Christ Superstar. Could you ask as much from any other frog? (A.V. Club)
- An article on The Hollywood Reporter about the theme song for the upcoming Studio Ghibli flick When Marnie Was There, directed by The Secret World of Arrietty‘s Hiromasa Yonebayashi, contains an interesting little tidbit that we didn’t notice before: It’s the first Ghibli film with two female leads.
- Via Neatorama, Google’s Street View software has gotten really good at reading captchas… you know, those things that are supposed to separate the humans from the computers. I sense Skynet.
The latest Frozen mashup to hit the Internet: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Check out the rest on Tumblr.
- Like our own Jill Pantozzi earlier today, Andy Khouri of Comics Alliance addresses the epidemic of men threatening women with rape in the online geek community. Choice quote: “Sexual harassment isn’t an occupational hazard. It’s not a glitch in the complex matrix of modern life. It’s not something that just ‘happens.’ It’s something men do. It’s a choice men make. It’s a problem men enable. It’s sometimes a crime men commit. And it is not in the power nor the responsibility of women to wage war on this crime. It’s on us.”
- If you’re anything like me, this quote from Karen Gillan about filming Guardians of the Galaxy will give you a chuckle: “…I worked a lot with Lee Pace, because we’re the bad guys, and we went around antagonizing everybody.” A) Fun mental image, and B) Proof that Lee Pace is still in Guardians of the Galaxy, even though we’ve gotten nary a glimpse of his wonderful eyebrows in any of the teasers. It wasn’t just a collective dream! (io9)
io9 has a bunch of Maleficent promo pics, and if I have to lay eyes on the nightmare fuel above then so do you.