Things We Saw Today: Wow, I Didn’t Know There Are No Female Characters In Adventure Time!
by Rebecca Pahle | 5:01 pm, January 17th, 2014
…at least that’s what you’d think if you looked at McDonalds’ line of Adventure Time Happy Meal toys, which has only male characters and is marketed “for boys,” while the Paul Frank monkeys are “for girls.” Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, Lumpy Space Princess, etc. must have been figments of my imagination this whole time. (Serious Eats)
- Ruth Robinson Duccini, the last surviving actress to play one of the Munchkins in The Wizard of Oz, has passed away. She was 95. (Deadline)
- Tomorrow sees the debut of State of Syn, a “3-D-enabled sci-fi motion novel,” on Hulu. It stars Firefly’s Jewel Staite “as a woman who begins investigating a tech monolith after her father dies mysteriously.” USA Today has more, including a trailer.
- Sony swears that an HBO GO app is coming to the PS3 and PS4 “soon.” (PlayStation.Blog, via Digital Spy)
- The Frisky gives us a run-down of the gowns worn at last night’s Critics’ Choice Award. Don’t mind me, I’m just going to be gazing at Lupita Nyong’o for a while. Incidentally, she also won Best Supporting Actress there.
- Helen Mirren has been named the Harvard theatrical society’s Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year. (The Wrap)