Things We Saw Today: Jamie Foxx to Star in Blumhouse’s Spawn
It’s been over twenty years since 1997’s Spawn hit the big screen and did great at the box office, but got its ass handed to it by critics. Although I think John Leguizamo’s The Violator was hella creepy and effective, it was silly. After the success of Black Panther, it is not a surprise that another black superhero movie would be in the works. People assumed it would be Blade since people actually enjoyed two out of three of those movies, but it looks like it’ll be Spawn getting the relaunch with Jamie Foxx in the lead role.
It also appears that Todd McFarlane, who is the creator of the character, will be writing and directing the film according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“I will be directing my first full length feature and I fully understand the need to surround myself with as much skill, talent and passion as possible,” McFarlane said in a statement. “To now have an Academy Award winning actor like Jamie Foxx, along with the dedication of Blumhouse Productions will not only make my directing job that much easier, but more importantly, will bring a level of quality and star power that most first time directors could only foolishly dream of.”
What do you think? Are you excited to see what Jamie Foxx will look like in a skin-tight leather costume? Cause I am.
- Jenn Jackson from Bitch crafts an excellent piece about the moral of prison reform in the era of #MeToo. More specifically how to ensure that men who are accused of rape are brought to justice, but also continuing to push progressive changes in criminal justice (via Bitch).
- Neville “Hot Damn” Longbottom aka Matthew Lewis got married this weekend and he looks just as handsome as we remember. (via GoFugYourself)
- Paul Rudd, the most ageless white man of all time, is in talks to be the human lead in a Sonic movie. All I care about is who will be voicing Knuckles. (via Hashtag Show)
- Solo, that Star Wars movie you didn’t see? Well, it looks like they’re already spilling tea about the deleted scenes we could have had. (via Slash Film)
- For the baker’s dozen of you who watch The Walking Dead, there is going to be another cast member leaving… (via Collider)
(via The Hollywood Reporter, image: New Line Cinema)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]