Things We Saw Today: Stay Here Is Exactly the Kind of Nuanced LGBTQIA Content We All Crave
A short film that centers a queer woman of color with an all-female cast and an all-female creative team? Sign me up! Stay Here, which you can watch above, is a nuanced, intriguing portrayal of the relationship between two women struggling in the aftermath of infidelity, but the drama doesn’t come from where you think it will. Directed by Lauren Schacher, written by Jess Nurse, and starring Nurse alongside Mel Recker and Davie-Blue, this film festival favorite will have you wishing for a feature-length version.
- The inimitable Gail Simone, one of the preeminent women in comics, will be doing her first reddit AMA tomorrow at 11:00AM Pacific/2PM EST. Please don’t ask her “what it’s like to be a woman in comics.” (via Gail Simone on Twitter)
- Christian Bale is ready for “white dudes” not to be in charge anymore. That makes two of us. (via Vulture)
- The ever-fabulous Mindy Kaling just gave birth to her first child, a daughter named Katherine. Congratulations, Mindy! (via Jezebel)
I want to talk to you about Big Two comics, personal bubbles, and diversity. Here we go:
— Alex de Campi (@alexdecampi) December 20, 2017
You NEED to read this full Twitter thread from comics creator Alex de Campi on the Big Two and inclusion. Favorite line: “Why do they keep doubling down on their shrinking legacy audience of 40-something white guys? More and more stunts to fight for Chad’s dollar.”
- Hamilton‘s Phillipa Soo talks about her role in the upcoming Uma Thurman film The Parisian Woman, where she plays a young activist. (via Women and Hollywood)
- In Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Luke tells Rey he’s going to give her three lessons about why the Jedi have to end. The film features two of them, and io9 reports on what happened to the third.
That’s it on our end! What have you seen out there today?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—