Things We Saw Today: The Original Pitch for Star Trek: TNG Sure Was Different
Some new documents for the original pitch for Star Trek: The Next Generation have surfaced, and they reveal a very different take on the Enterprise’s crew, including a Vulcan captain who dies in the pilot but lives on in hologram form, able to be summoned by the acting captain. (Although if the captain dies, I don’t know why the second in command still has to be “acting captain.” You’d think he’d just get the full promotion.) As a lifelong Quantum Leap fan, this sounds like a major Al/Sam situation and I’m into that. Not as into as the actual show we ended up getting, but it sounds interesting. (via The AV Club)
- This couple had the exact same plan to propose to each other in the same way, during the same game of family Pictionary. This story is making it really dusty in here. (via BuzzFeed)
- Robert Downey Jr. wishes you and your preferred Stark shipping a Happy Valentine’s Day.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all the shippers out there! ❤️😉 pic.twitter.com/VAVwRLDumo
— Robert Downey Jr (@RobertDowneyJr) February 14, 2018
- And if you’re still rolling with Galentine’s Day pt. 2, the women of Parks & Recreation have you covered.
- Oh look, corporate America discovered their new favorite ad slogan: #MeToo. (via Mother Jones)
- I have some issues with that gender-faceswap app and its reliance on gender normative and idealized physical attributes buuuttttt, this person who used it to reimagine all of America’s past presidents as women is a genius. (via Hello Giggles)
- This is a very social-media heavy Things We Saw, but when Julia Louis-Dreyfus says “fuck you” to cancer, we are always here for it.
(image: CBS Studios)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com