Things We Saw Today: A Wrenching Comic About Women and the Doctors Who Don’t Listen to Them
Author and artist Aubrey Hirsch recently shared a comic about her experience with autoimmune disease, titled “Medicine’s Women Problem,” over at The Nib. It perfectly captures the frustration, self-censorship, and anger that so many women experience when trying to get their doctors to take their symptoms seriously. It’s a well-documented problem, and Hirsch poignantly captures its costs.
It’s happened to Roxane Gay and Lindy West (though racist and anti-fat biases definitely played a role). It’s happened to Rachel Fassler. It happened to Gilda Radner, and it killed her. I think a whole lot of readers will be able to relate.
- You all know how I feel about porgs, so I’ll be adopting Delilah S. Dawson’s brilliant new compliment from now on. ALL TMS READERS ARE PORGEOUS.
My new ultimate compliments: YOU LOOK PORGEOUS. pic.twitter.com/hYu9MqwiyX
— Delilah S. Dawson (@DelilahSDawson) July 30, 2017
- A TV adaptation of The Rook, by Daniel Lee O’Malley, is coming to Starz. Twilight author Stephanie Meyer will also serve as an executive producer, though that title could mean any level of real involvement in the script and direction. (via SYFYWire)
- Tomi Lahren hates Obamacare soooo much that she’s still on her parents’ insurance plan. LOL. Honestly, I’m glad that she’s getting the healthcare she needs while unemployed, because health care is still a human right for terrible humans, but the hypocrisy is pretty unreal. (via Daily Dot)
- McDonald’s sent a half gallon of its Szechuan sauce to the Rick and Morty creators, after the sauce made an appearance in the Season 3 premiere. (via Nerdist)
- A new trailer for Flatliners has arrived, and Diego Luna’s hair is PORGEOUS in it. (via /Film)
What did you see today, readers?
(Featured image via Aubrey Hirsch and The Nib)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com