Things We Saw Today: Rami Malek Looks Perfect as Queen’s Freddie Mercury
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide no escape from reality—
Mama, ooooooooooooh. Rami Malek is in full hair and makeup as Queen’s frontman for the upcoming movie Bohemian Rhapsody and I am singing about it. A lot.
Above, we have the real Freddie. Below, we have Mr. Robot star and hacker of my heart Rami:
I’m a little verklempt at the moment but here’s what you need to know, per EW: directed by X-Men‘s Bryan Singer, Bohemian Rhapsody “chronicles Queen from 1970, when Mercury teamed with Brian May and Roger Taylor, until the band’s performance at Live Aid in 1985, six years before the singer died of complications from AIDS.”
I’m still thrilled that they cast a POC actor—Mercury was born of Parsi descent in the Sultanate of Zanzibar and lived in India before moving to England as a teenager (Malek is Egyptian-American)—and Malek is coming off of his Lead Actor Emmy and has a devoted fan base (*waves tiny flag with Rami Malek’s face on it*).
In an age of Hollywood whitewashing, I could not be happier that we aren’t being subjected to, say, Jamie Campbell Bower as Mercury. (No offense to Jamie Campbell Bower, whom I love, and the boy can sing. But you get the drift.) The multi-talented Malek is currently in the studio working on approximating Mercury’s famous four-octave range, though the movie also plans to use Mercury’s real voice whenever possible.
If you need backup singers, Mr. Singer, call me. Bohemian Rhapsody is my karaoke song and I do a mean “oooh yeah, ooh yeah.”
Anyway, Rami Malek looks like perfection and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
(via Entertainment Weekly, image: Peter Still/Redferns, Rob Delaney/Fox)
- Happy anniversary, Batman: The Animated Series. Here’s an ode to its composer, Shirley Walker. (via Polygon)
Good Morning Britain receives more than 100 Ofcom complaints over ‘gay cure’ interview https://t.co/w16aiPDNXc
— PinkNews (@PinkNews) September 5, 2017
- In case you missed it, here’s the full text of Obama’s statement regarding Trump’s actions on DACA, in tweetable form. (via Twitter)
- Debunking Hollywood myths about female directors. DEBUNK THEM ALL. (via Filmonomics)
- *praise hands emoji*
— BEYONCÉ LEGION (@Bey_Legion) September 4, 2017
- Basically the only reason I would ever get married is to send out invites using these (British)Star Wars stamps. Porg stamps, my friends. Porg stamps! (via BoingBoing)
- Dan Stevens is playing young Charles Dickens in a biopic?? The trailer is here??? I’m excited about this! Not Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury excited, but excited nonetheless. (via Deadline)
So what’d you see today, my little scaramouches?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—