Things We Saw Today: We Have So Many Questions About This Woman Who Can’t Feel Pain or Anxiety
A real life superhero.
The New York Times has a story today that’s basically the real-life version of the movie Unbreakable, about a woman who may not be totally indestructible, but is physically incapable of feeling pain. Childbirth? No problem. Hand surgery? Keep your painkillers. She also heals unusually quickly from the injuries that must come with some frequency when you can’t feel pain. This woman is incredible and also, I hate her. Okay fine, not really, but I am incredibly envious.
Because in addition to not feeling physical pain, 71-year-old Jo Cameron also says she’s never experienced depression, anxiety, or even fear. She simply describes herself as being “very happy.”
There are so many questions here. First off, if you can’t feel depression or anxiety, can you truly feel empathy? Is she a superhero or a villain? It seems the answer to that is the former, as she’s used her powers for good. “In retrospect, she sees how her genetic disposition may have aided her at work.,” writes the Times. “After years as a primary-school teacher, she retrained to work with people with severe mental disabilities. Erratic, aggressive behavior never riled her, she said.”
Next question: How can I be like her? In reality, scientists are hoping to get some real life-changing benefits from studying her mutation. Says the NYT, “Turning a discovery of this sort into an actual pain or anxiety treatment requires many steps, many years and many millions of dollars. It’s rare for a product to emerge.” But it’s not impossible. (via New York Times)
- This is such a great article on Shrill and “the transformative power of seeing fat-girl sex on TV.” (via HuffPost)
- The Shazam! producer Peter Safran is not into the DC/Marvel rivalry. In fact, he thinks it’s “kind of bullsh*t.” (via ComicBook.com)
- Two words: WEREWOLF. CATS. (via Geekologie)
- Sandra Oh is hosting SNL and her promos are adorable.
— Saturday Night Live – SNL (@nbcsnl) March 26, 2019
- I love this.
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) March 23, 2019
- Mark Hamill doesn’t sound positive, but he doesn’t think that leaked Episode IX poster is real. (via Uproxx)
- Holy moly, how have we not talked about this yet? Angelina Jolie is reportedly in talks to join the Marvel universe by way of The Eternals. (via i09)
What did you all see out there on this almost-Friday?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org