It may have been two years since Henry Cavill donned tights and a digitally erased mustache to play Superman in Justice League, but the actor, who will soon grace small screens as the star of the Netflix series The Witcher, hasn’t let the Man of Steel go.
In a recent interview with Men’s Health, Cavill spoke candidly about growing up “chubby” and his acting career, but his past and in the DCEU loomed large over the conversation. And it doesn’t sound like Cavill is quite ready to say goodbye to the franchise. “The cape is in the closet,” Cavill told Men’s Health “It’s still mine.”
That’s a pretty big contrast to what we’ve heard in the past about Cavill’s future in the role. Over a year ago, news broke that talks for Cavill to cameo as Superman in Shazam! had broken down and Warner Brothers, who produces the DC films, was “parting ways” with Cavill. But now, Cavill seems open to the idea:
I’ve not given up the role. There’s a lot I have to give for Superman yet. A lot of storytelling to do. A lot of real, true depths to the honesty of the character I want to get into. I want to reflect the comic books. That’s important to me. There’s a lot of justice to be done for Superman. The status is: You’ll see.
While this is nice, it’s all just speculation and fantasy at the moment. Warner Brothers still hasn’t quite figured out what to do with the DC Extended Universe franchise and increasingly seems to be more interested in returning to more standalone films, like Joker, rather than building on the middling success of Justice League. Currently, there are no new Superman movies on the horizon.
Do we want Cavill back in the cape? I don’t know. He wasn’t bad in the role, but he wasn’t great either. He was certainly weighed down by the ponderousness of the films themselves (and that stupid mustache thing didn’t do him favors in Justice League). I’m far more excited to see what Cavill does with The Witcher than I am for him to get back in the Super suit.
(via Collider, Image: Warner Brothers)
Here’s a few other things we saw today:
- If you spent the weekend crying over Mister Rogers, you’re not alone. (via Buzzfeed News)
- How to talk to kids about sex and, more importantly, consent. (via KQED)
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is FINE but she has GOT to stop scaring us like this. (via CBS News)
- We’re late but Flirty Dancing is…the best?
— POPSUGAR (@POPSUGAR) November 20, 2019
- Bon Jovi, does, on occasion, rule…especially when Jon Bon Jovi uses his own restaurant to feed the homeless (via CBS This Morning)
- In case you wanted to know which of the offensive and untrue rumors Meghan Markle is suing over. (via Vulture)
- Beck is not a Scientologist which was a not a question I was aware we were asking, but that’s a good answer anyway. (via The Sunday Morning Herald)
- And finally, a longer, way more apocalyptic trailer for Crisis on Infinite Earths is here!
— DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (@TheCW_Legends) November 24, 2019
That’s all the news that’s fit to blog for us. What did you see today, Suvians?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]