Things We Saw Today: John Oliver Gives You the Sparknotes on the Democratic National Convention
Aug 1st, 2016, 5:47 pm
John Oliver broke down the RNC on the Last Week Tonight last week. Last night, he took on the Democratic National Convention where he covered Michelle Obama and Khizr Khan’s moving speeches, Tim Kaine’s attempt at a Donald Trump impression, and more.
- Pokémon Go passed 100 million installs worldwide over the weekend! Read the breakdown of these numbers over at TechCrunch.
- This gallery of black women cosplaying as brilliant teenager Riri Williams, the new Iron Man, is pure magic. (via Black Girl Long Hair)
- Japanese artist Masayoshi Matsumoto makes detailed animal balloons that put your local clown to shame. Get rekt, Giggles. (via Colossal)
- Ever wonder what Netflix’s Stranger Things would look like as a goofy, 80’s sitcom? Youtube user Tim Bennett made an opening for the show set to Randy Newman’s “Strange Things” and it is an uncanny delight. (via Polygon)
- Emoji enthusiasts! Emojicon is an event this November in San Francisco where you’ll be able to attend parties, panels, art shows, a film festival, and more around emojis. Sounds 🔥 🔥 🔥. (via Laughing Squid)
Finally, Think Geek advertises a faux-leather version of Rey’s backpack from Star Wars: The Force Awakens as “for those who can handle themselves.” Can you handle yourself?
That’s what we saw today, what did you see?
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Follow The Mary Sue on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, & Google+.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]