The Mary Sue Is Hiring a Freelance U.K. Editor!
The Mary Sue is searching for a talented freelance editor, based in the U.K., to publish content during U.S. early morning hours and help build up our U.K.-focused content! We’re looking for a details-obsessed person who gets our intersectional feminist perspective on geek culture and has significant knowledge of, and passion for, fandom, feminism, pop culture, politics, movies, TV, comic books, books, technology, weird internet memes, and more—in general, but also particularly with a U.K. slant!
Do you have fifteen notifications pop onto your phone from a variety of sources whenever there’s an update on what’s next for your favorite franchise? Do you love nothing more than hunting down typos, waxing poetic about grammar, and celebrating the joys of punctuation? Are you an expert on pop culture and culture in general? We want to hear from you.
So, what are the job expectations? The freelance editor will report to the co-managing editors and be responsible for writing, editing, and publishing articles during the hours of approximately 10AM to 3PM (U.K. time). The tasks involved in the position will vary over time, beginning as a writing and editing role, moving into a heavier emphasis on finding potential stories, approving writers’ pitches, and editing as we build a U.K.-based writing team.
Copyediting skills are top on our list of qualifications, ensuring that all posts are typo-free and abide by our style guidelines and quality standards. Speed is also key—we’re going to be producing a lot of content! A keen eye for proofreading, researching, and factual accuracy is paramount, and SEO knowledge is a big plus.
The freelance editor will be paid $25 per hour, for 25 hours per week (five hours each weekday) to start, though the role may grow in the future. There is also the opportunity to write additional content, when not on shift for editing, at the normal Mary Sue freelance rates for additional income, if desired. All positions at The Mary Sue are remote.
What other elements are we looking for in a prospective freelance editor?
- Someone who’s proud to be called a geek and a feminist.
- A confident editor who has a knack for relaying clear information and supportive feedback to their team.
- Familiarity with WordPress/blogging platforms and social media channels.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices.
- A multitasker who can parse a large amount of information in a short time, and loves to make a good sentence even better.
- The ability to write and edit quickly, cleanly, and accurately.
- Previous freelance experience.
What do we want in your application sent to [email protected]?
- The subject line of your email must read: “TMS U.K. Editor 2022.”
- A brief cover letter as the BODY of your email.
- Your resume/CV (as an attachment) or LinkedIn profile (choose one).
- Links to pieces you copyedited, or descriptions of the project.
- Links to your personal website/portfolio/blog, podcasts/videos, and/or any public social media accounts you would like to share.
The Mary Sue has made a name for itself as a feminist, inclusive space for nerds and geeks of all types, reaching millions of readers every month with great content from having fun with the latest internet trends to incisive social commentary on pop culture and news. We have big plans and are looking to bring in talented writers and editors who can help us grow that established readership explosively over the coming year, and we’re excited about the possibilities that growth will open up for The Mary Sue’s future.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]