Things We Saw Today: Ridley Scott Returns to Science Fiction With Raised by Wolves
Plus Chuck Wendig, Rita Repulsa, and more!
If you’re a fan of expansive science fiction, then you’ll likely be excited about the new trailer for HBO Max’s latest original series Raised by Wolves. Created by Aaron Guzikowski (Prisoners), the series follows the story of two androids restarting humanity on a new planet after religious divides and wars have ruined Earth. The androids, Father (Abubakar Salim) and Mother (Amanda Collin), raise a new generation of children to be atheists, but trouble comes in the form of a group of religious humans looking to colonize their planet.
The imagery of the trailer is reminiscent of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, so it won’t surprise you to learn that Ridley Scott himself directed the first two episodes and is and an executive producer on the series. Raised by Wolves will be Scott’s first television project in decades, and if the trailer is anything to go by, the series will feature the philosophical and cerebral sci-fi the director is famous for.
There’s a lot to unpack in the trailer alone, which digs into themes of parenthood, artificial intelligence, and the corrupting influence of religion. And of course, Scott can’t resist an android who questions their own humanity, or lack of it. The trailer showcases high production values and stunning cinematography, and could very well be the streaming channel’s new Westworld or even Game of Thrones.
For now, we’re tentatively excited for this bold new series. Hopefully it won’t be as inscrutable as Prometheus, but will retain some of the magic of the Alien series.
(via AV Club, image: screencap/HBO Max)
- In news that will surely enrage Donald Trump, ratings for the first night of the RNC are down 25% from 2016. (via The Daily Beast)
- Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) will adapt Chuck Wendig’s dystopian sci-fi novel Wanderers for television. (via Deadline)
- This question is legit:
Why is “the chosen one” always a teenager? We’re really gonna put the fate of the universe on someone with an undeveloped prefrontal cortex? Give me a story with a chosen one who is a 42 year old mom that has already seen some shit and is totally out of fucks to give
— kathedrals (@kathryniveyy) August 23, 2020
- Jurassic Park-inspired roleplaying dice? Yes please! (via Nerdist)
- Kimberly Guilfoyle’s unhinged RNC speech is being compared to Rita Repulsa and honestly, that is slander. (via ComicBook.com)
- Boy band BTS is helping men redefine their masculinity/saving the world. (via Very Good Light)
- The cast of The West Wing are reuniting for an election special on HBO Max! (via Entertainment Weekly)
How’s your Tuesday going?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]