The Mary Sue needs an uber talented and experienced editor/journalist to lead our team! We’re looking for someone who gets what we do and has significant knowledge of, and passion for, pop-culture and its intersection with politics, comic books/movies, social issues, weird internet memes, technology, science, and more! You’ll be tasked with helping to determine which stories we should cover, building traffic to the site, and coming up with new original content—from written features to video content to the new podcast we have in development. We need someone who is local to our office in New York City so she/he can work with the business team and help serve as a face and voice for the site on everything from sales to videos and podcasts.
The site is still relatively small and so compensation is commensurate with our size.
What are we looking for?
- Experience with, and ideas for, building our audience
- A strong social media footprint and/or presence in online fandom and communities.
- Experiences editing pieces and selecting stories
- Familiarity with WordPress and social media channels (mostly Facebook and Twitter, but Tumblr and SnapChat are great, too!)
- Someone who’s proud to be called a geek.
- A multi-tasker who can consume a large amount of information in a short time.
- Bonus points if you’re already part of The Mary Sue community!
What do we want in your application sent to jobs @ themarysue. com ?
- The subject line of your email must read: “TMS Sr. Editor 2017.”
- A brief cover letter as the BODY of your email.
- Your resume/CV (as an attachment) or LinkedIn profile (pick one).
- At least two links to samples of your writing. Preferably include at least one personal or “opinion” piece.
- Link(s) to your personal website/blog or podcasts/videos and any public social media accounts if applicable.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]