Things We Saw Today: Lizzo Shines in her ‘SNL’ Hosting Debut
Plus 'Doctor Who', Josh Brolin, and more!
Lizzo made her ‘Saturday Night Live’ hosting debut this weekend, pulling double duty as both host and musical guest. The “Good as Hell” singer brought her signature joie de vivre to the episode, infusing the comedy show with her signature upbeat energy. Lizzo came to play, and her enthusiasm and excitement was evident from her monologue, where she promised to break the record for saying “bitch” on live television. She also joyfully introduced her mother, who was clearly so proud to be there.
Lizzo appeared in a variety of sketches, but her two standouts were the pre-taped Please Don’t Destroy video “Lizzo Has Writers Block”, where she tasks Ben Marshall, John Higgins, and Martin Herlihy with writing her a new hit song. The gang flounders until they come up with “Horny Zookeeper”, complete with music video.
A second standout sketch was “Steve’s Beanie Babies”, which saw Lizzo and her husband, Andrew Dismukes, planning to retire on their vast Beanie Baby collection. When they find out that the Beanies are mostly worthless they both start spiraling. Lizzo does her best to keep it together, but she keeps breaking in the sketch, and it’s absolutely hilarious.
Her musical performances were excellent as well, especially her moving performance of her new ballad “Special”. Honestly, if SNL knows what they’re doing they should bring Lizzo back to host every season. The woman is a multi-talent and her joy throughout the night was absolutely contagious.
- Kiernan Shipka is down to revisit her character Sally Draper from ‘Mad Men’. (via ET)
- Josh Brolin on his Batman that almost was. (via io9)
- Peter Cushing’s Doctor Who movies get the 4K Ultra HD treatment. (via Collider)
- RIP Liz Sheridan, the actress who played Jerry’s mom on Seinfeld. (via We Got This Covered)
- This is the only Robin Hood reboot I’m interested in. (via Syfy Wire)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore fails to make box office magic. (via THR)
Happy holiday weekend, Mary Suevians! Hope you’re enjoying all the good food and fun times!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]