Japanese Company Develops "Invisible Glass"

Recommended Videos

Nippon Electric Glass has developed what it calls “invisible glass,” a type of glass that reduces the reflection of light, thus appearing clear rather than a bit reflective. Nippon put a special type of anti-reflection film on either side of the glass substrate, increasing the amount of light that passes through it from 92 percent to 99.5 percent, leaving only 0.5 percent of light to reflect off of the glass — much less than the previous 8 percent that would normally reflect.

Nippon Electric claims that the luminous reflectance of the substrate is 0.1 percent (or lower), and the anti-reflection films they used to help them achieve this ridiculously low number uses a total of 30+ layers, with the thickness of each layer controlled to the nanometer. As one can see from the above display, the glass seems actually do what Nippon claims, though its uses may be smaller than one would theorize. It could be useful for any kind of electronic display, like a computer monitor or smartphone, but a sliding glass door? People walk into those enough as it is without the glass being practically invisible.

(Tech-On via Engadget)

Relevant to your interests


The Mary Sue is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article ChatGPT Voice That Sounds Like Scarlett Johansson in ‘Her’ Shut Down Following Backlash
joaquin phoenix wearing glasses with a mustache in her
Read Article Surprising No One, All 3,878 of Elon Musk’s Cybertrucks Are Being Recalled
Elon Musk during a T-Mobile and SpaceX event
Read Article ‘Mamma Mia!’ Star Sara Poyzer Says a BBC Production Replaced Her With AI
Sara Poyzer performs at the Magic at the Musicals event in 2019
Read Article In Moment of Unbelievable Irony, Midjourney Accuses Stability AI of Image Theft
Spider-Man pointing at another Spider-Man, who is pointing back.
Read Article Elon Musk May Be the Lesser of Two Evils in This Legal Battle With OpenAI
Elon Musk at the 2022 Met Gala
Related Content
Read Article ChatGPT Voice That Sounds Like Scarlett Johansson in ‘Her’ Shut Down Following Backlash
joaquin phoenix wearing glasses with a mustache in her
Read Article Surprising No One, All 3,878 of Elon Musk’s Cybertrucks Are Being Recalled
Elon Musk during a T-Mobile and SpaceX event
Read Article ‘Mamma Mia!’ Star Sara Poyzer Says a BBC Production Replaced Her With AI
Sara Poyzer performs at the Magic at the Musicals event in 2019
Read Article In Moment of Unbelievable Irony, Midjourney Accuses Stability AI of Image Theft
Spider-Man pointing at another Spider-Man, who is pointing back.
Read Article Elon Musk May Be the Lesser of Two Evils in This Legal Battle With OpenAI
Elon Musk at the 2022 Met Gala