Here Are Some Ways You Can Help the Victims of Hurricane Harvey
Hurricane Harvey has made landfall, killing at least five people and injuring at least a dozen, but the worst damages may be yet to come. This is because even as Harvey fades in strength from hurricane to tropical storm, it will linger over southeast Texas for four or so days, pounding cities like Houston with heavy, heavy rains the entire time. Houston is at particularly high risk from flooding, and even the National Weather Service (NWS) has warned that this situation is “beyond anything experienced.”
— NWS (@NWS) August 27, 2017
If you’re wondering how you can help, I’ve included some resources below. I divvied them up into actions for those who are located close to the affected areas – and who could therefore provide resources like their time or space – and those who are further away.
Ways to Help If You’re Far From Texas
- Donate to any of the following groups:
- CNN is using the Public Good tool to allow you to donate to multiple charities at once, splitting your money between them – but it’s a curated list of charities, so you’re limited to their selections.
- Donate to the Houston Food Bank, San Antonio Food Bank, or any of the Texas food banks listed here.
- Donate blood through the American Red Cross.
- Donate to Texas animal shelters like the Animal Defense League of Texas, SPCA of Texas, or the San Antonio Humane Society.
Ways to Help if You’re in or Near Texas
- If you’re a boat owner, the police in League City and Houston are looking for vehicles to help evacuate. Please coordinate directly with local law enforcement, so that you don’t accidentally place yourself in danger and tax resources even further.
— ABC13 Houston (@abc13houston) August 27, 2017
Anyone with a boat who can volunteer to help please call 713-881-3100 #HurricaneHarvey
— Houston Police (@houstonpolice) August 27, 2017
- Donate blood through Carter BloodCare or the American Red Cross.
- Airbnb has made it easy for users to offer up free accommodation to evacuees. You can sign up to host evacuees in your space here.
- The San Antonio Food Bank is collecting donations and soliciting volunteers to put together emergency food boxes for evacuated families. They are currently most in need of nonperishable food, water, baby food, diapers, and new clothes. The Houston Food Bank is currently closed due to Harvey, but they’ll also likely need help when they reopen.
- Volunteer with Texas animal shelters like the Animal Defense League of Texas, SPCA of Texas or the San Antonio Humane Society.
- Donate to any of the groups above!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—