Things We Saw Today: Let’s Survive the Apocalypse in the Global Oreo Vault
Plus Witchers, cabbage men, and more!
As we anxiously await the outcome of Tuesday’s presidential election, many of us are filled with trepidation. What if Trump refuses to concede? What if he’s re-elected?! And what will happen in the wake of the election? Will there be protests, rioting, and violence in the streets? Many Americans are wishing they could just take a nap right now and wake up whenever the election is decided.
But why hunker down at home when there is a magical place for us in a far off land? I’m talking, of course, about the Global Oreo Vault in Svalbard, Norway. Inspired by (and located just down the street from) the Global Seed Vault, the Global Oreo Vault holds a stash of Oreos in a bunker built to survive the apocalypse.
This hilarious flight of fancy was inspired by a tweet from Olivia Gordon, who idly wondered what would happen to the Oreos if an asteroid hit the planet.
I wonder who will save the oreos? https://t.co/6oC5ctLwfU
— Olivia Gordon (@oliviagordn) October 3, 2020
Her query refers to Asteroid 2018 VP1, a refrigerator-sized space-rock that will breeze by Earth on November 2. And while the asteroid has little to no chance of hitting us, it was enough to inspire the folks at Nabisco to build their cookie bunker.
“As an added precaution, the Oreo packs are wrapped in mylar, which can withstand temperatures from -80 degrees to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and is impervious to chemical reactions, moisture and air, keeping the cookies fresh and protected for years to come,” an Oreo spokesperson said in a statement.
At least SOMEONE is prepared for the worst. In lighter Oreo-related news, we’re currently obsessed with the Twitter account Upcoming Oreos @neworeoflavors. Here are some of our favorite upcoming flavors:
he want cookie . just give him cookie . pic.twitter.com/qGe1J5v3a1
— Upcoming Oreos (@neworeoflavors) October 29, 2020
help me please . pic.twitter.com/D8UGoDkDmd
— Upcoming Oreos (@neworeoflavors) October 27, 2020
the cookies taste normal they just come with wasp s
— Upcoming Oreos (@neworeoflavors) October 14, 2020
dont eat , just take it in. pic.twitter.com/Z5UHrMSu6m
— Upcoming Oreos (@neworeoflavors) October 30, 2020
What a delight.
(via Syfy Wire, image: screencap/Oreo)
- David Gordon Green and Clive Barker are making a Hellraiser series for HBO. (via io9)
- Everybody loves Cabbage Man. (via comicbook.com)
- The first footage from The Witcher season 2 is here and broody. (via Collider)
- The cast of Community reunite to get out the vote:
- Just like he did in 2016, Dave Chappelle will host the first SNL after the election. (via A.V. Club)
- Berlin’s Madame Tussauds put their Donald Trump statue in the trash in anticipation of the election. (via Business Insider)
- Got any lingering questions over Netflix’s first season of Blood of Zeus? (via CBR)
- John Mulaney wows us with the fourth installment of his New York musical sketches on SNL:
Hope you’re having a stress-free Sunday, Mary Suevians!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org