Geekosystem is Seeking a Part-Time Fall Editorial Intern
Do you want to be Geekosystem’s next Spider Jerusalem, or at least Geekosystem’s next fall part-time intern?
Our interns spend most of their time writing, and most definitely receive bylines for all of their stories. We like to recruit through our internships, so if ascent to a higher plane is your goal, this isn’t a bad way to get started.
*This is a part-time internship for fall, from September to December. Start and end dates are flexible, but should be targeted to that timeframe.
*You would be expected to be in the office (in New York City) for around eight hours a day, two to three times a week. Both the hours and amount of days are flexible around your schedule, though we do keep fairly standard office hours.
*You must currently be a college student, and we can offer you credit.
The primary qualification for this job is an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsessive enthusiasm for multiple aspects of geek culture. If you are knowledgeable about weird, cutting-edge tech phenomena, follow gadget and consumer electronics news, possess a deep knowledge of video games or science fiction, or would laugh for all the right reasons when someone in the office remarks, “It’s bigger on the inside,” for any reason, then this internship is for you!
The secondary qualification is being able to write quickly and clearly, without weird grammatical or spelling issues, about topics that you yourself think up or discover on the interwebs.
In addition, there are several qualifications which are preferred but by no means necessary:
- Knowledge of blogging software
- Knowledge of the major personalities and figures in the technology and geek-culture world
- Experience with photo-editing software
Please attach THREE documents to your application email; applications not containing all of these documents will NOT be considered:
- A resume/CV, including references (please include any weird skills you might have, like how hard you rock Civilization IV when playing as as the Egyptians, or if you’re the official go-to source for Pretty Pretty Princess modding)
- Any two samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.) (Although we are a blog! So keep that in mind when deciding what to submit)
- A brief (1-page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal intern for a geek culture blog. Please also explain in your cover letter how much you know that feel, bro; if you don’t, we’ll know you didn’t read the entire posting!
When you’ve got these together, send ’em to [email protected].
The process is rolling, so get yours in ASAP!
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]