Things We Saw Today: Emily Blunt Says an ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ Sequel is Unlikely, Breaks Our Hearts
Plus Keegan Michael-Key, David Bautista, and more!
Ever since we first saw the Tom Cruise sci-fi actioner Edge of Tomorrow, we’ve been eager for a sequel. Doug Liman’s 2014 film had everything we love: a clever script, thrilling action sequences, and a badass heroine in Emily Blunt’s Rita Vrataski, aka the Angel of Verdun. While it took a minute to find its audience, Edge of Tomorrow (or as it’s known to some, Live Die Repeat) is now considered one of the best action films of the 2010s. The film was adapted from the Japanese manga by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, All You Need is Kill.
Liman had previously said that he was working on a sequel, and seemed very enthusiastic. In an interview with Collider in 2017, Liman said, “We have an amazing story! It’s incredible! Way better than the first film, and I obviously loved the first film…Tom [Cruise] is excited about it, and Emily Blunt is excited about it. The big question is just when we’ll do it. But it’s not an if, it’s a when.”
Unfortunately for all of us, Emily Blunt doesn’t think a sequel will be happening any time soon. Blunt appeared on the Howard Stern Show, where she said, “Honestly, I think the movie is probably too expensive. Yeah, I just don’t know how we’re going to do it. I think that it’s hard to align everyone’s schedules. I would love it. Doug Liman would love it. Tom would love it. We’d all love to do it. But I think until we figure out what’s going on with the industry – honestly, I think we need to figure out what is the next road map for the kinds of films that people want to make?”
Fair enough, but it’s a shame we won’t ever see a sequel happen. However, if you’re still in the mood for Emily Blunt kicking ass you can catch her in the highly anticipated A Quiet Place Part II, which hits theaters May 28.
(via io9, image: Warner Bros. Pictures)
- David Bautista discusses his journey from wrestling to acting. (via Collider)
- Jujutsu Kaisen Has Some of Shonen’s best female characters. (via CBR)
- Rubén Blades talks zombies and Fear the Walking Dead. (via Remezcla)
- From the Hawkeye dunk to the Muppet violence, this SNL sketch has everything:
- Mythic Quest gets an adorable queer love story in season 2. (via Autostraddle)
- Cloudflare says it’s time to end CAPTCHA ‘madness’, or have A.I. cracked the code on which images have a school bus? (via The Verge)
- The first reactions to Cruella are very, very good. (via EW)
- Happy 77th birthday, Danny Trejo!
Happy 77th Birthday to the one and only Mr Danny Trejo @officialDannyT pic.twitter.com/lJkRXeGyyW
— Horror Seen (@HorrorSeen) May 16, 2021
Hope you’re having a chill Sunday, Mary Suevians!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]