Things We Saw Today: Dolly Parton Loves Lil Nas X’s Version of ‘Jolene’
Plus Dune, Gavin Newsom, and more!
Few artists are as widely covered as country music legend Dolly Parton. With over a thousand songs to her name, Parton has seen her music performed by all sorts of stars, from Whitney Houston’s iconic rendition of “I Will Always Love You” to the latest entry, a stripped-down version of “Jolene” performed by rapper/singer Lil Nas X.
Parton shared her thoughts on Lil Nas X’s gorgeous rendition of the classic song, tweeting, “I was so excited when someone told me that Lil Nas X had done my song #Jolene. I had to find it and listen to it immediately…and it’s really good. Of course, I love him anyway. I was surprised and I’m honored and flattered. I hope he does good for both of us. Thank you @LilNasX”
I was so excited when someone told me that Lil Nas X had done my song #Jolene. I had to find it and listen to it immediately…and it’s really good. Of course, I love him anyway. I was surprised and I’m honored and flattered. I hope he does good for both of us. Thank you @LilNasX https://t.co/w7vJWGypOp
— Dolly Parton (@DollyParton) September 29, 2021
Lil Nas X responded to Dolly’s tweet in the way that any of us would respond if Dolly tweeted about us:
HOLY SHIT https://t.co/8n1pAntF2O
— MONTERO 🦋 (@LilNasX) September 29, 2021
Obviously, the next step is to see a duet between the two gay icons. After all, Lil Nas X already worked his magic with Billy Ray Cyrus in “Old Town Road.” What we wouldn’t give for a reimagined “Islands in the Stream” with Dolly and Lil Nas X. Universe, you know what to do.
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a law returning Bruce’s Beach to the descendants of the Black couple that were run out of Manhattan Beach. (via LA Times)
- In other Gavin Newsom news, the governor has authored a new children’s book inspired by his own dyslexia diagnosis. (via The Hill)
- Here’s the depressing 2021 version of Schoolhouse Rock’s “I’m Just a Bill.” (via Apple News)
Honest Trailers takes on Dune:
- Work of art or hilarious scam? You decide! (via CBS News)
- Hospitals are giving nurses panic buttons because we live in the darkest timeline. (via The Guardian)
- Konami’s free-to-play eFootball is already the worst-rated Steam game in history. (via Video Games Chronicle)
FYI we’re only wearing Meatwear from now on:
View this post on Instagram
It’s almost the weekend, Mary Suevians! What did you see out there today?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]