Danica Roem Set to Possibly Make History as First Openly Trans State Legislator
Last night, Virginia held its Democratic primary for the state elections, and one winning candidate could potentially make history this fall.
Danica Roem became the Democratic candidate for Delegate for the 13th District in the VA General Assembly, and she’ll be going up against Republican challenger Bob Marshall in the general election this November. Even more awesome? If she wins, she will become the first openly transgender state legislator in the country.
Roem is not shy about making history, and it isn’t about her. It’s about what it would mean for Virginia. According to LGBTQ Nation, Roem said, “Let me make this really clear for you: When the people of the 13th District elect a transgender woman to replace the most anti-LGBT legislator in the South, it will be an act of certainty, and it will be a defining moment that will resonate across the country.”
Defeating Marshall would indeed make victory all the sweeter. In his career, Marshall has:
- put forward an amendment defining marriage in the state Constitution as between one man and one woman. (A federal judge later struck it down.)
- went about trying to get Attorney General Mark Herring impeached over his support of same-sex marriage
- was a proponent of legislation blocking transgender people from using the bathroom matching their gender identity in government-owned buildings
- attempted to give businesses the right to discriminate against “homosexual behavior”
- attempted blocking the nomination of a judge due to the fact that he is openly gay
Sounds like a charming guy. Kick his ass, Danica.
Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund president/CEO Aisha C. Moodie-Mills connected Roem’s candidacy to a wider trend of transgender candidates getting into the fray nationwide.
She says, “Danica Roem is a leader in a national movement of trans candidates who are determined to become a voice for their community in the halls of power. This historic primary win sets up a general election battle where voters will choose between ‘Bigot Bob’ Marshall—the most anti-LGBTQ member of the Virginia state legislature—or Danica, a proud trans woman who is committed to representing all people in her district. I am confident voters will choose leadership over divisiveness and make Danica the first out trans candidate to win and serve in a state legislature.”
C’mon, District 13! Make the right choice! To learn more about Danica Roem, check out her website HERE.
(image: Danica Roem campaign)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—