The Mary Sue Is Hiring an Assistant Editor!
The Mary Sue is searching for an uber-talented assistant editor to join our team! We’re looking for a journalist/blogger who gets what we do and has significant knowledge of, and passion for, feminism, pop-culture, comic books, movies, TV, technology, weird internet memes, and more! You’ll be tasked with helping to determine which stories we should cover, culling news from around the web and putting your personal take on it, and coming up with new original content.
If you live your life in fan communities—both online and off—and have valuable insights to share with the world, you’ve come to the right place!
What are we looking for in a prospective team member?
- Familiarity with WordPress/blogging platforms and social media channels. (Mostly Facebook and Twitter, but Tumblr and SnapChat are great, too!)
- Someone who’s proud to be called a geek and a feminist.
- A strong social media footprint and/or presence in online fandom and communities.
- A multi-tasker who can consume a large amount of information in a short time.
- The ability to write quickly and accurately.
- Preferably someone who can work in our office in Midtown NYC.
What are the job duties of an assistant editor?
- Finding the most interesting things on the internet, from news to art, and pitching stories about them.
- Writing several posts per day.
- Editing other writers’ posts.
- Promoting posts on social media.
- Comment moderation.
What do we want in your application sent to firstname.lastname@example.org?
- The subject line of your email must read: “TMS Assistant Editor 2017.”
- A brief cover letter as the BODY of your email.
- Your resume/CV (as an attachment) or LinkedIn profile (pick one).
- At least two links to samples of your writing. Preferably include at least one personal or “opinion” piece.
- Link(s) to your personal website/blog or podcasts/videos and any public social media accounts if applicable.
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—