This morning, Amazon announced that they sold a record-breaking 158 items per second on Cyber Monday, which is the Monday after Black Friday. The 158 items per second totaled 13.7 million items ordered worldwide. Amazon also announced that the new third-generation Kindle has become the best-selling item in Amazon’s history, beating out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Aside from setting a (self-proclaimed) record of speedy sales in their press release, Amazon also detailed some other fun sales information:
- One of Amazon’s most remote shipping locations was to the hamlet of Grise Fiord, which is north of the Arctic Circle in Canada. The shipment contained DVDs of Toy Story and Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul, and video games NHL11, Halo Reach and Call of Duty: Black Ops
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was the most purchased and gifted Kindle book on Christmas Day
- During the holidays, the biggest shopping day for iPad, iPhone and Android users was Sunday, whereas the biggest day for BlackBerry users was Friday
- People bought enough snow tires and snow chains to outfit population of Aspen, Breckenridge, and Sun Valley, which are three of America’s top ski cities
- The top-selling movies were Inception, The Blind Side and Toy Story 3
- The top-selling video games were Call of Duty: Black Ops, Just Dance 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns
- The top-selling software were oddly anime-themed; Anime Studio Debut 7, Manga Studio Debut 4, and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9
Kind of what one would expect for the top-selling media, except maybe for the anime and manga studios.
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com