Things We Saw Today: This YouTube Trailer Mashes Up John Wick and The Matrix for a Nostalgic Good Time
Revisit the 80s with this fun parody trailer time warp.
A good parody trailer is truly a thing of beauty. But few of them are so well thought out and detailed as this Trailer Time Warp, “John Wick Chapter 6: Contingency”. Youtuber Journey’s End recreates an 80s style Cannon Films trailer in the mold of Death Wish, Lifeforce, and Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo.
The trailer imagines a sixth John Wick film, where everyone’s favorite assassin finds himself in the post-apocalyptic wasteland of The Matrix. The trailer is lovingly detailed to look like a low budget masterpiece, from the synth-heavy score to a grizzled voice-over to de-colored, skipping image.
Given how increasingly outlandish the world of John Wick is, it’s hardly a stretch to imagine a future-set film in the franchise where Keanu Reeves is unfrozen to battle the machines. The trailer capitalizes on the films’ combination of Laurence Fishburne and Reeves, as well as both movies’ usage of the phrase “we’re going to need guns, lots of guns.”
The newly rebooted Wick has to contend not only with his painful puppy-filled memories, but will also undergo the upgrades and enhancements that made Neo such a formidable fighter. Is it weird that I want to watch this movie? Because I would totally watch this movie.
(via AVClub, image: YouTube)
- Scarlet Witch may be rolling out some new powers in Disney+’s WandaVision. (via CBR)
- Patty Jenkins discusses Wonder Woman‘s 1984 setting on the Crew Call Podcast. (via Deadline)
- Stan Lee’s former manager Keya Morgan was arrested in elder abuse charges. (via AP News)
- A student posts a compilation of the best moments from his chemistry class and the results are…explosive:
- Bong Joon-ho became the first Korean filmmaker to win the Palme d’Or at Cannes with his film Parasite. (via Collider)
- Put the controller down: the World Health Organization has just classified “gaming disorder” as a recognized illness. (via Kotaku)
- Harrison Ford randomly name-drops Chris Pine as a potential Indiana Jones. We’re not mad about it. (via io9)
- In the midst of Theresa May’s resignation, Downing Street’s most important resident is now answering questions:
I took Chem 100 this Spring semester and this is what it consisted of :) pic.twitter.com/szywu0edn2
— Daniel (@Simply__danny) May 23, 2019
While a political storm brews inside 10 Downing Street, Chief Mouser Larry is soaking up the sun and enjoying all the attention pic.twitter.com/NvHyFYChj8
— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) May 24, 2019
What are you up to this holiday weekend, Mary Suevians?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org