Our friends at 21CB direct our attention to Wikipedia’s list of deleted articles with freaky titles, which is exactly what it sounds like: Articles on Wikipedia, some serious, some not, the freaky titles of which stirred nerd glory in the souls of the site’s editors such that they didn’t want them to disappear from Wikipedia without a record even when the articles were deleted. It might not be quite as useful as Wikipedia’s list of common misconceptions or Wikipedia’s list of unusual articles, but there sure is some entertaining stuff in here.
A few that are a little more interesting than standard Wiki-vandalism:
- “Fictional characters with an unfortunate tendency to spontaneously transform into monstrous creatures”
- “Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding” (From the deletion discussion: “Very unlikely search term or link title; there is no reason why anyone looking for information on the ride cymbal (or anything else, for that matter) would search for ‘Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.'”)
- “List of differences between apples and oranges”
- “List of tennis players who appeared on the David Letterman Show in 1995”
- “Why I Want To Be King of Australia”
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com