The Mary Sue Is Hiring a Weekend Editor!
It’s true! The Mary Sue is searching for a Weekend Editor!
What does the job entail? Well, working Saturdays and Sundays, for one. Otherwise, we’re looking for a journalist/blogger (preferably someone with a few years experience writing content online or off) with a wide knowledge of—and passion for—pop-culture, science, technology, weird internet memes, social issues, and more!
You’ll be tasked with culling news from around the web, putting your personal spin on it, and keeping up with our social media accounts. We’d prefer someone living locally near our offices in New York City, but that is not absolutely necessary for the position.
Applications are open to ANYONE but applicants who are LGBTQ+, people of color, people with disabilities, etc. are encouraged to apply. We’re always looking to diversify our voice. But what exactly are some of the qualities we’re looking for?
- Someone who can consume a large amount of information in a short time.
- Someone who can multitask.
- Photoshop or other photo editing software knowledge a plus.
- Someone who’s FUN!
- Someone who’s proud to be called a geek.
- Someone who’s proud to be called a feminist.
- Someone who can take direction and follow through with assigned tasks.
- Someone familiar with social justice issues and how they intersect with comics, games, movies, and other media.
Familiarity with WordPress and a background in science or tech are definite pluses, although not absolutely essential.
What should your application contain? These things exactly, no more and no less:
- The subject line of your email must read: “TMS Weekend Editor 2015.″
- A brief cover letter as the BODY of your email.
- Your resume/CV (as an email attachment).
- Two links to samples of your writing. Preferably one “news” piece and one “opinion” piece.
- Link(s) to your personal website/blog, public social media accounts, and any other relevant writing.
Please email all of that information to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re setting the application deadline for no later than Tuesday, September 15th, but we retain the right to call it early if we get an overwhelming amount of applicants, so submit early. Please only email us once; we’ll be in touch if we’re interested.
—Please make note of The Mary Sue’s general comment policy.—